Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default 300 blackout vs 6.8

Ok, I don't really see why everyone is so excited about the blackout. My 16 inch 6.8 with Speer 130 hotcors should be superior in the bigger, slower bullet train of thought that is giving the Blackout people a woody. Is it just because of 223 mags and bolts?

68Forums.com lifer

I agree with you that when you're talking supersonic performance, I just can't see the blackout having the performance the glossy ad marketing types are bragging about. I'm waiting to see how the factory supersonic ammunition velocity numbers turn out in the real world.

The low case capacity limits the performance compared to the 6.8 which is a more versatile cartridge.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

6.8 Member

Isn't the 300 Blackout the old 300 Whisper?

68Forums.com Industry Partner

You really can't use 5.56 mags without modification, according to those that have been trying to get it to work.
    SIX5 -6.5mm on a 6.8 case
    Nexgen the lightest 308 AR coming mid 2014
    http://www.msrhunt.com/

The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

68Forums.com Team Member

I had it in the back of my mind that there would some hiccup that would come up with it....

I deal with about 5%-10% of the population 80%-90% of the time...

Owner: Silverback FA

68Forums.com Team Member

I actually do have both.

The 300 BLK is a 300 Whisper or 300/221 with a slightly looser chamber and a 0.090" longer throat which helps to reduce pressure ... not unlike the difference between 6.8 SPC and 6.8 SPC II.

I too don't see the reason for the hype.

I got into the Whisper first with the intent to run a can for shorter range hunting piggies at night. Will be fun for that. Really is a shorter range relatively quiet chambering and is thus a rather specialized tool.

The 6.8 has much better ballistics at range and is big enough to make the AR platform very useful for general hunting. Is what the 5.56 should have been ;-)

If I had to give one up ... it would be the .300 BLK. Fortunately, I don't.

I think i read that the 300 has 9% more muzzle energy than the 6.8 SPC, but that is with a 9" barrel. What good is a 9" barrel? They don't really talk about that with the 16" barrel, the 6.8 has more energy than the 300 blackout. Plus with a 9" barrel wouldn't there be a lot of muzzle blast? I don't think i could stand it. With all that being said, a 30 caliber AR-15 is definitely appealing. but i think i would rather have the 30 remington than a 300 blackout.

68Forums.com lifer

But the .300 blk is "Tacti-cool" and the 6.8 has a funny name...so the 300 blk must be superior in every way.

kidding aside, the 300 blk looks like alot fun in a SBR with a can... But the 338 spectre uses 6.8 bolt and mags ...so if i was gonna go that route I would go with the spectre anyway. Since i don't own a 223, nor do I plan on getting one.

I tried to get excited about the 300 blk, but all the numbers i keep seeing from it are pretty anemic. At least for supersonic use.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin

68Forums.com Team Member

double tap

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by arteacher View Post
    Ok, I don't really see why everyone is so excited about the blackout.
    I think the answer is obvious, it has the marketing resources of the multibillion dollar freedom group behind it. It's amazing how a name can be hyped into being 'the new best' with a few front page features in gun mags....