Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default .223 Wylde vs. .223 vs. 5.56

Where does the .223 Wylde chambering fit into the equation compared to .223 and 5.56? I notice a lot of manufacturers are now offering it and was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of this chamber offering are. My old bushmaster says .223/5.56 on the barrel. Its approximatly 10 yrs. old. Is this chamber similiar to the .223 Wylde? I've finished my 6.8 but would love to supplement my Bushmaster I have in .223/5.56.
    NRA Endowment Member
    Managing Member: Suppression Solutions LLC
    Custom AR Uppers and Parts
    " Vision without execution is hallucination" Thomas Edison

68Forums.com Industry Partner

The 5.56 chamber is a sloppy military chamber with a long throat(.226 diameter and .056 long), the .223 chamber is tighter in all dimensions and has a shorter throat(.025 long), works well with varmint bullets.
    The Wylde has a generous chamber size but the throat is smaller in diameter(.224) to hold the bullet in line with the bore better , the freebore is .061 long.
    SIX5 -6.5mm on a 6.8 case
    Nexgen the lightest 308 AR coming mid 2014
    http://www.msrhunt.com/

The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

68Forums.com lifer

here is a nice chart from AR15BARRELS that shows the dimensions of the various reamers
    Black River Tactical
    BRT Covert Comp Flash Hiders 7.62 & 5.56
    BRT MicroPin Gas Blocks
    BRT MarkBlue Gas Tubes
    BRT MicroTune Gas Blocks
    BRT CustomTune Gas Ports

6.8x43 Ballistics

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    here is a nice chart from AR15BARRELS that shows the dimensions of the various reamers
    Didjas fergit sumpin' ?
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog68 View Post
    Didjas fergit sumpin' ?
    The "here" is the actual link, that is why it is in color.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer_2 View Post
    The "here" is the actual link, that is why it is in color.
    'DOH !!! I missed seeing the different color of the "here". Grassy Ass Ameeeeeeeeego !
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

68Forums.com Team Member

I guess to refine my question from an end user standpoint and not design. Would the Wylde offer any advantages as far as being able to use .556 and .223?
    NRA Endowment Member
    Managing Member: Suppression Solutions LLC
    Custom AR Uppers and Parts
    " Vision without execution is hallucination" Thomas Edison

68Forums.com Team Member

The Bushmaster you have (labeled .223/5.56) is a 5.56 chamber - same as every barrel labeled "5.56" or "5.56 NATO". It's labeled .223/5.56 because it can handle the higher pressures of mil surplus 5.56 ammo and can also load and use lower pressure .223 ammo (though perhaps not as accurately as a .223 chambered barrel). The Wylde is supposed to be a compromise between the two - more accurate than the 5.56 yet still able to handle mil surplus 5.56 ammo pressures.
    NRA Life Member

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I guess to refine my question from an end user standpoint and not design. Would the Wylde offer any advantages as far as being able to use .556 and .223?
    Yes, you can safely shoot high pressure 556 ammo such as XM855 and XM193 in a Wylde.

It may show mild pressure signs though.

The only thing that seems wrong with the Wylde and some 223 chambers is the .224 freebore dia.

Almost every other cartridge has a free bore diameter 1-3 thousandths larger than the nominal groove dia.

Some of the semi match chambers and some 223 have 1/2 thou over.

Zero thou over seems too tight, but maybe it works fine.
    Last edited by Clint; 11-26-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT Covert Comp Flash Hiders 7.62 & 5.56
    BRT MicroPin Gas Blocks
    BRT MarkBlue Gas Tubes
    BRT MicroTune Gas Blocks
    BRT CustomTune Gas Ports

6.8x43 Ballistics

68Forums.com Team Member

Bill Wylde's chamber is about ideal when it comes to accuracy and reliablity from an AR15. It lacks a little room for single loaded 80 grain long range ammo, but at least 95% of AR15 owners will never shoot their rifles at 600 yard tournaments.

80 grain Sierra Match Kings will seat somewhere close to 2.450" in a Wylde chamber to touch rifling.

Closer to 2.500" in Frank White's chamber designed for the USAMU (Compass Lake Engineering match chamber)

Around 2.550" to touch rifling in a 5.56mm NATO chamber.

For magazine fed rifles shooting magazine length ammo the Wylde chamber rocks. This is what the vast majority of AR15 owners need to work well and the Wylde chamber makes it happen.

What's really intersting is Bill Wylde designed this chamber before the armed forces ever fielded the M16-A2. He didn't have a clue what "match ammo" would ever be fielded. He knew they were going to the 1/7 twist and that it was capable to stabilize bullets weighing at least 77 grains. Early test for a squad automatic rifle in the 60's had used 1/7.7 twist barrels to stabilize 77 grain bullets, but the idea was shelved.

If you can find any old articles about the "SALVO" testing conducted in the 60's by Colt and others it's interesting reading.