6.8 SPC Forums banner

.223/556 Lake City Brass

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Marine 
#1 ·
Obviously this is the 6.8 SPC forums, not the 223 Rem forum, but there are knowledgeable people here. I picked up some once fired Lake City brass, only some of which have the NATO marking (circled cross).

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the 'net and what I've found is contradictory. Some people say the only difference was in the loaded ammo and the brass is the same in every way except the head-stamp. Others say the NATO brass is "harder."

I'm going to sort the brass into batches for each unique year on the head-stamp, should I separate the NATO from the non-NATO as well, or are they exactly the same?

#2 ·
Obviously this is the 6.8 SPC forums, not the 223 Rem forum, but there are knowledgeable people here. I picked up some once fired Lake City brass, only some of which have the NATO marking (circled cross).

There doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the 'net and what I've found is contradictory. Some people say the only difference was in the loaded ammo and the brass is the same in every way except the head-stamp. Others say the NATO brass is "harder."

I'm going to sort the brass into batches for each unique year on the head-stamp, should I separate the NATO from the non-NATO as well, or are they exactly the same?
I believe, but I have not actually seen the way they come to us NEW, that the LC w/o the NATO mark brass is the batch that Federal sells as their generic "white box" ammo. I think they are the same hardness and thickness, but of course differs slightly by lots (batches).

You can check by weighing the empty cases. If the thickness differs a significant amount, the weights would differ a significant amount. Some people sort cases by brand, lot, then weight as a determinant for case capacity.

Federal Cartridge Company runs the Lake City plant (I believe) by contract.

#3 ·
As far as hardness, I'm not sure. It used to be that LC brass was made with less internal volume in the case (thicker/heavier) for military use. I don't believe that is done any more for the 223. If you buy 30-06 LC or 308 LC, I would watch pressure signs with military brass and work up all loads in case the internal volume is smaller, which will create higher pressures with smaller amounts of powder.

Hopefully this answered your question.

#4 ·
Lake City 5.56mm brass is the same regardless whether the NATO cross is present or not. It has more case capacity than most commercial offerings, not less.

Lake City 7.62x51mm (.308) brass has significantly less internal capacity, a full 2.0 grain powder reduction will net close to identical pressures when compared to Winchester.

Lake City 5.56mm brass is very high quality, feel confident when using it.

#5 ·
Lake City 5.56mm brass is the same regardless whether the NATO cross is present or not. It has more case capacity than most commercial offerings, not less.

Lake City 7.62x51mm (.308) brass has significantly less internal capacity, a full 2.0 grain powder reduction will net close to identical pressures when compared to Winchester.

Lake City 5.56mm brass is very high quality, feel confident when using it.
This. I wish I had more of it.

#6 ·
Not sure on hardness

Use a lot of lake city for all my .223's my savage .223 and rock river uppers . Use mainly 50 gr Vmax to shoot coyotes and 62 gr barnes for hogs. had good luck with numerous reloads with this brass and can usually get bargain prices. Fired over 13,000 rounds last year reloaded every one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.