Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 vs. .308

Default 6.8 vs. .308

At a gun show today, one of the optics vendors was telling me that as a hunting platform he preferred the AR in the .308 caliber. I have the 5.56 already, but am in the process of building another in 6.8 SPC dedicated solely to deer hunting.

I have already bought a Spikes lower, so I would like to stick to my 6.8 plans, but I am also still learning. Accordingly, those of you who have hunted--particularly deer-- with both calibers, what is your take on a comparison for hunting purposes (I won't be going after hogs)?

Thanks.

If you can't take a deer with a 6.8, you are not doing your job. Sounds like the guy was trying to sell you a rifle in 308

68Forums.com Team Member

+1 that. A hog is a tougher to kill critter than a deer is.

If your shots are going to be (on average) greater than 300yds, then I'd look more to the .308.
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCox View Post
    At a gun show today, one of the optics vendors was telling me that as a hunting platform he preferred the AR in the .308 caliber. I have the 5.56 already, but am in the process of building another in 6.8 SPC dedicated solely to deer hunting.

I have already bought a Spikes lower, so I would like to stick to my 6.8 plans, but I am also still learning. Accordingly, those of you who have hunted--particularly deer-- with both calibers, what is your take on a comparison for hunting purposes (I won't be going after hogs)?
    well, that's jst his opinion then i guess....

.308 win. in a powerful round...very close to 30-06 in performance. jst not when shot out of a short barrel...IMO if you gonna hunt with a 22 or 24" barrel i would jst use a bolt gun. it would be much cheaper anyways. ar10's are heavy and expensive. you can do two really nice ar15 builds for the price of one ar 10 build. on paper the 6.8 has more punch then a 30/30 and the .270 win. has killed many deer. that's the same bullet diam. as 6.8...only diff. is it's a little slower and a little lighter bullet. i'm hoping to take a deer with it this year. last year i didn't see any when i hunted with mine.

68Forums.com Team Member

The 5.56 is capable of taking deer ethically with the right ammo. Distance is the limiting factor. The 6.8 will get you a good deal further, and the .308 further still. Shot placement is key to all calibers as far as humane kills goes. I have friends that have shot deer with 7 mags and still had to hunt for then deer because it ran off, even with a fairly well placed shot. I also had a friend who's 7 year old bother shot a deer in the aa*&hole with a Beeman high powered pellet rifle back in the 80's and it killed it DRT, busted the liver, or something. Plus it was a really , really old deer, could have had a heart attack from the shock of it all. Those things are hard to determine, ( how long an animal will last after being hit), and is why caliber isn't as important as shot placement. We called him Brown Eye Reid for years after that by the way.
    Getting back to the point, How much weight do you want to carry in the woods, and what are your other factors. The 6.8 will do anything you want it to and probably more than you or I are capable of.It's a great choice. Check out the hunting forum here and you'll see that. The gun shop owner is o.k. if that his his preference, as long as he isn't discounting the 6.8 as a deer capable rifle, and misinforming you to sell you what you don't want. A good salesman should help you determine what you need and want and then get you the system that you decide on.
    "Don't go ninjiin nobody that don't need ninjiin."

Thanks. To be fair to the vendor, he wasn't selling any AR10s. However, I think you are helping to gather my thoughts as to why I initially wanted the 6.8 to begin with. I already have a fine bolt gun with scope in the .270 cal. Moreover, it is not legal in my state to hunt with my AR15 in 5.56 (though I do agree that proper shot placement is the real key). I did not like the weight of the AR10's, and wanted something for deer in an AR platform that would be reasonable up to 250 yds. max. I particularly like the idea of carrying it in the woods (my Savage .270 with scope is not a woods gun!).

Back to my 6.8 build with enthusiasm again. I really appreciate the input.

68Forums.com lifer

You're on the right track, and having a good discussion is why this forum is here. Obviously there are dozens of effective hunting calibers for deer sized game. The 308 and the 6.8 are two of them. Buy what you want based on what you want to do.

AR10's, DPMS LR308s, KAC SR25's... are all cool rifles. Most here would take one if they ran across a good deal. They are larger and heavier compared to the AR15 platform. No one doubts or dismisses the effectiveness of the 308 Win round. Elk hunting, you probably want the 308.

The 6.8 in the lighter handier AR15 platform gives you around 80% of the 308's performance in a lighter handier package. Outstanding hunting bullets available for the 6.8 demonstrate its popularity among hunters.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

68Forums.com Team Member

There are some guys here who've taken deer out to almost 500 yards, ( not that I would attempt it, and they were using specific equipment and hand loads), so your 250 is easily doable. I would take a shot out to 350 which is as far as I have right now. I can't hunt the farm at this time, and even then I wouldn't feel comfortable past that.
    "Don't go ninjiin nobody that don't need ninjiin."

68Forums.com Team Member

I would say a lot depends on the range you're hunting at and how you hunt. The 6.8 should be good to 300 yards or beyond, depending on detail like barrel length but the .308 is good for longer shots. Likewise the 6.8 is a great caliber if you're going to carry it around, much less cumbersome than the .308 in most platforms but if you're sitting in a blind waiting for a shot at 3-400 yards, I'd probably choose the .308.

68Forums.com Team Member

+7 ... This is why people from all around the world come to this site, you guys are GREAT!!!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time & your government only when it deserves it.