6.8 SPC Forums banner

POF's Roller Cam Pin?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  joshuades 
#1 ·
Anyone checked this out?

Reduces friction and drag of the bolt carrier.
The roller cam pin rolls as the action moves.

The roller cam pin NP3 coated and the body is Mil-spec hard chrome plated. This allows the pin to operate without the need to lube.
Roller Cam Pin Upgrade kit and modified chrome gas key and fasteners for AR-15/M16 Gas Impingement Rifles

http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/arparts.htm
I'm interested in trying it. The cam pin is one of the first parts that I notice wear and tear on with a new rifle (not that I've actually had one fail). Just curious what others thought....

See less See more
#2 ·
My son is using one in a Adam's Arms piston system but hasn't shot it enough to give a report yet. He is only using the roller cam pin and not the gas key.

I bought the set and have played with it just a tiny bit as I have spare bolts. I found that the notch in the gas key still does not allow the roller cam pin to slide into place. I had to take a file to the gas key and open it further to allow the pin to drop into place and allow removal.

I have not torqued the gas key down and tested it yet so can not give any more information at this time.

#3 ·
#1 If that roller gets loose in you upper it could lock up the rifle real good. I have no idea how the roller is attached to the cam pin to say it's likely to fail or not, just that if it happened it could be bad.

#2 There are a lot of products out now claiming some special coating means you don't have to lube. THE AR RUNS BETTER PROPERLY LUBED, people who claim otherwise don't know what they are talking about.

I personally don't see the need to "fix" something that's not broken but the roller should work fine and may offer a little less drag.

#4 · (Edited)
#1 If that roller gets loose in you upper it could lock up the rifle real good. I have no idea how the roller is attached to the cam pin to say it's likely to fail or not, just that if it happened it could be bad.

#2 There are a lot of products out now claiming some special coating means you don't have to lube. THE AR RUNS BETTER PROPERLY LUBED, people who claim otherwise don't know what they are talking about.

I personally don't see the need to "fix" something that's not broken but the roller should work fine and may offer a little less drag.
I'd like to add on to K's post that the poller pin doesn't take the friction out of the cam pin operation like it claims. The friction from the cam pin is from the BCG stripping around off the magazine, causing the bolt to be pushed back and the cam pin to twist in its channel. The cam pin presses against the left side of the gas key channel and the gas key presses against the right side, due to the force on the cam pin trying to rotate the BCG to the right. This roller pin only removes a considerable amount of half of the friction from the cam pin. The key still presses against the right side of teh channel. Lube is still required.

To me, this specific function of the action is the biggest design flaw in the system. All other auto loading rifles (that I've seen) have a design aspect that braces teh bolt in order to strip a round from a mag and then has a feature to bump either the bolt or item that cams teh bolt. In order to fix this properly, it would require a new upper reciever, bolt carrier, and cam pin.

#7 ·
Interesting comments. Hmm... maybe I'll just stick with the old school gas key and cam pin.

Based on the location of the force being placed on the cam pin, maybe just a hard chromed plating on the exterior of a standard pin would be the best(?) But does anyone sell one?

#9 ·
Also, Clint did a run of cam pins with a low friction surface finish. I don't know if he still has some, but may be worth asking.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.