6.8 SPC Forums banner

LAser Bore sight's

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Blake Kramer 
#1 ·
Are laser bore sights made for the 6.8 and if so are they any good?

#2 ·
The kind that fits into the muzzle should work for you as long as it is long enough to clear your muzzle device. Just use the arbor or bushing for .277.

I have never used one myself since having good success with the old "look down the bore" method. Gets you on paper.

#3 · (Edited)
Ive had 3 laser bore sights from Sightmark for a 270 win, 7mm rem mag and a 25-06. Then are handy and I like them. They are much cheaper than a bore sight kit and they get you on paper at 50 yards to get u started without wasting ammo. Unfortunatly I dont see one for the 6.8 on Sightmarks websight. However if you look at their websights you will notice that each boresight fits for multiple calibers because some cartridges are similar enough that the boresight fits in the chamber well enough to work. So with a little research I think you should be able to figure out which cartridge is close enough to the 6.8 to fit in the chamber properly and then use the boresight for that caliber. Let me know if you figure out which one works cause I will probably get one too.

Since 6.8 bullet diameter is right between 264 and 270, those cartridges might be your closest bet. Just need to verify that the shoulder of the shell is similar enough to that of the 6.8 so that it fits into the mouth of the barrel.

#4 ·
Ive had 3 laser bore sights from Sightmark for a 270 win, 7mm rem mag and a 25-06. Then are handy and I like them. They are much cheaper than a bore sight kit and they get you on paper at 50 yards to get u started without wasting ammo. Unfortunatly I dont see one for the 6.8 on Sightmarks websight. However if you look at their websights you will notice that each boresight fits for multiple calibers because some cartridges are similar enough that the boresight fits in the chamber well enough to work. So with a little research I think you should be able to figure out which cartridge is close enough to the 6.8 to fit in the chamber properly and then use the boresight for that caliber. Let me know if you figure out which one works cause I will probably get one too.

Since 6.8 bullet diameter is right between 264 and 270, those cartridges might be your closest bet. Just need to verify that the shoulder of the shell is similar enough to that of the 6.8 so that it fits into the mouth of the barrel.
OK, I'm confused here. :a42: Last time I looked, .270 cal. = .277 in. = 6.8mm. The only thing that might prevent a laser bore sight from working is the muzzle break. Or are you referring to the type that are in a modified cartridge case that fits into the chamber? Bushnell makes one that comes with a full range of pilots from .22 to .50 that goes into the muzzle for just $29.95.

Of course, you can do the same thing with the old Mk 1 eyeball if you pull the bolt and have a way to keep the upper from moving. Find something you can recognize at a distance looking through the bore, lock the barrel down, and then look through your scope. Move the crosshairs so that they are centered on the same thing you see through the bore. I used that method yesterday, using a vent cover on a neighbor's roof about 50 yards away. Worked like a champ.

#5 ·
68WJ was talking about one for the muzzle but I was talking about the cartridge type that goes in the chamber and shines a laser throught the bore and out the muzzle. Ive had a couple of those and they are great and usually cheaper than other boresight kits. Also 6.8mm is the same as .268 when converted to standard measure. So I was suggesting that a cartridge type laser boresight of a similar caliber to the 270 may fit in the 6.8. Find a caliber with a similar case shoulder and it should work. For example, the 270win laser bore sight I had also fits the 30-06 and 25-06. The bore sight I had for my 7mm rem mag was also designed to fit the 264win and 338win. Here are the links for the particulat bore sights that I had. Hope it helps.

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=22

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=23

#6 ·
I picked up a Laserlyte set the other day. comes with arbors up to shotgun size.
Also had the scope/reticle leveler attachment and 2 special targets. $50( red laser version)

I had to take the brake off my Ak-74 to use it( brake was to long)
On an A2 or MCD brake it should work fine.

I love the reticle leveler attachment. It will put a horizontal line on the target to level your cross hairs before you tighten down your mount. You can also put it on a flattop upper to level the gun before you level cross hairs.

#8 · (Edited)
It is more about the chamber dimensions than the bolt. Lasers are for shark's heads, use your eye down the bore and you will be fine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.