6.8 SPC Forums banner

Rebarrel mini-14?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RugerIte 
#1 ·
Who makes replacement mini-14 6.8 barrels? With Ruger falling behind in their 6.8 specs, and their accuracy usually being sub-par, are their any options for re-barreling? And how about bolts too if someone wants to convert their .223?

#2 ·
There is at least one place that does at least part of what you are asking and those in the know will post a link.

For what it is worth, as it will almost all be custom work it may be cheaper to just build a lower and buy a decent specced upper for the AR platform. Building a lower is not difficult and then you have bragging rights telling people you put the lower together by yourself, there are good tutorials available from several sources.

#3 ·
There is at least one place that does at least part of what you are asking and those in the know will post a link.

For what it is worth, as it will almost all be custom work it may be cheaper to just build a lower and buy a decent specced upper for the AR platform. Building a lower is not difficult and then you have bragging rights telling people you put the lower together by yourself, there are good tutorials available from several sources.
I agree with the AR build, but I am just asking for the knowledge and to help those that got a 6.8 Mini before they knew better. I don't plan on ever owning a Mini, especially not after building my Bison, but there are many out there that do. I would like to have a better answer for their issue than, "sell it and build an AR."

I remember a friend's Mini years ago that put an aftermarket barrel and stock on his and it shot very well. Seems the next logical step would be 6.8 barrels too.

#5 ·
I hated seeing that one guy on THR post such a rude reply to that poor guy who's having accuray whoas with his new Ranch Rifle.
Kinda the reason for this thread. Inquiring minds want to know and The High Road seems a little lower these days. But, $900 for a mini-14 does seem like a rip.

#6 ·
Kinda the reason for this thread. Inquiring minds want to know and The High Road seems a little lower these days. But, $900 for a mini-14 does seem like a rip.
This is why I spend so much time here and am not a member of the other sites.

#7 ·
I have personally experienced much better accuracy from my Mini-14 after shooting Tubb's Final Finish through the barrel. It became an honest 1.5" rifle at 100 yards shooting 69 grain Sierra's over 24.5 grains of Varget. Prior to using the Tubb's it was a four to five inch shotgun at 100 yards. You couldn't really call it a group.

I would try this option before buying a new barrel for a Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30 or Mini-6.8. It's much cheaper and will probably get you to actually enjoy the rifle.

#9 ·
I suggested that to the guy for him to consider... seemed like a reasonable plan of attack since it'a barely a 4-6" grouper at present.

#10 ·
I sold an older Mini-14 in 5.56 that was one of my favorite carbines. I'm more into ARs now, but the newer Minis are built on newer machines to better tolerances.

If I had a 6.8 Ruger Mini I would:

- Send out to a gunsmith to convert the chamber to SPC II specs. This lowers the pressure significantly and is the numero uno thing you should do. Plus it's inexpensive. Wilson Combat may be able to help. Now you can shoot all the factory ammo produced even the SSA Tac loads at much lower and safer pressures.

- Look into trigger jobs. I have read about gunsmiths offering trigger work on Minis but haven't use them myself. Maybe someone else can provide input. A scoped Mini with a better trigger should help your confidence in shooting groups.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm

- Loading Tubbs FFS, or using IOSSO bore paste to smooth out the bore may help accuracy some. At the least it will make your barrel easier to clean.

After that, you are getting close to spending what a decent AR costs and the benefits of the Mini are minimized in my opinion.

#14 ·
Who's having accuracy problems with their Mini-6.8? Mine will hit Coke cans all day at 70 yards with every load SSA offers. That's all I ever expected the rifle to do.
I did ream it out to Spec II, but otherwise have made no changes.
If your goal is 0.5-inch groups at 100 yards, why buy a Ranch Rifle in the first place?
As for paying $900 for a Mini, that does seem a bit high. I picked my 6.8 up for about $700 in early 2009.
I bought my 6.8 Mini for plinking and home defense - although plinking in 6.8 is on hold because the darn prices are so high.
As for home defense, a 30-round magazine of SSA tactical loads should keep most of the Zombies at bay.

#16 ·
The OP queston was about rebarreling a Mini-14 to 6.8 SPC. Since Ruger makes a 6.8 SPC but not the SPC II it is possible to buy just a barel. A guy in Colorado works on them and accrurizes them. They some with the old SPC chamber, but on one of the forums I visit, there is word of a bunch of specail reamers that re-do the lead to the SPC II specs and although still with a 1:10 twist rifle, the SPCII is possible.

#17 ·
ASI

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Don't know what his barrel specs are though.

I looked in to getting a 6.5 conversion done if I got a Mini, but the cost was to high, then I blundered in to the Mini 6.8, knew of the 6.8 SPC, found this site earlier and knew it would be a good deer gun and got it, and it holds a good group even before I had it reamed. The 6.8 SPC just gives the Mini platform even with its out dated specs still kick ass performance I find.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.