Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rebarrel mini-14?

Who makes replacement mini-14 6.8 barrels? With Ruger falling behind in their 6.8 specs, and their accuracy usually being sub-par, are their any options for re-barreling? And how about bolts too if someone wants to convert their .223?

68Forums.com Team Member

There is at least one place that does at least part of what you are asking and those in the know will post a link.

For what it is worth, as it will almost all be custom work it may be cheaper to just build a lower and buy a decent specced upper for the AR platform. Building a lower is not difficult and then you have bragging rights telling people you put the lower together by yourself, there are good tutorials available from several sources.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer_2 View Post
    There is at least one place that does at least part of what you are asking and those in the know will post a link.

For what it is worth, as it will almost all be custom work it may be cheaper to just build a lower and buy a decent specced upper for the AR platform. Building a lower is not difficult and then you have bragging rights telling people you put the lower together by yourself, there are good tutorials available from several sources.
    I agree with the AR build, but I am just asking for the knowledge and to help those that got a 6.8 Mini before they knew better. I don't plan on ever owning a Mini, especially not after building my Bison, but there are many out there that do. I would like to have a better answer for their issue than, "sell it and build an AR."

I remember a friend's Mini years ago that put an aftermarket barrel and stock on his and it shot very well. Seems the next logical step would be 6.8 barrels too.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by 68WJ View Post
    I agree with the AR build, but I am just asking for the knowledge and to help those that got a 6.8 Mini before they knew better. I don't plan on ever owning a Mini, especially not after building my Bison, but there are many out there that do. I would like to have a better answer for their issue than, "sell it and build an AR."

I remember a friend's Mini years ago that put an aftermarket barrel and stock on his and it shot very well. Seems the next logical step would be 6.8 barrels too.
    I hated seeing that one guy on THR post such a rude reply to that poor guy who's having accuray whoas with his new Ranch Rifle.
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog68 View Post
    I hated seeing that one guy on THR post such a rude reply to that poor guy who's having accuray whoas with his new Ranch Rifle.
    Kinda the reason for this thread. Inquiring minds want to know and The High Road seems a little lower these days. But, $900 for a mini-14 does seem like a rip.

68Forums.com Team Member

Kinda the reason for this thread. Inquiring minds want to know and The High Road seems a little lower these days. But, $900 for a mini-14 does seem like a rip.
    This is why I spend so much time here and am not a member of the other sites.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

68Forums.com Team Member

I have personally experienced much better accuracy from my Mini-14 after shooting Tubb's Final Finish through the barrel. It became an honest 1.5" rifle at 100 yards shooting 69 grain Sierra's over 24.5 grains of Varget. Prior to using the Tubb's it was a four to five inch shotgun at 100 yards. You couldn't really call it a group.

I would try this option before buying a new barrel for a Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30 or Mini-6.8. It's much cheaper and will probably get you to actually enjoy the rifle.
    from the 12th floor of the acme building

68Forums.com Team Member

I wouldn't've paid $900 for a mini-14... but, what is, is... the poor guy's already hurtin' over his rifle not shootin' straight, no sense in that other guy beatin' up on him for payin' more than he should've.

Agreed... way too much nonsense around there these days... the Glock guys invading and bashing the 1911 threads, the 1911 snobs refusing to have anything nice to say about something that doesn't cost $3,000 in a 1911 platform... the AK/AR guys constantly sniping at one another... it's pretty childish at times.
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by borderpatrol View Post
    I have personally experienced much better accuracy from my Mini-14 after shooting Tubb's Final Finish through the barrel. It became an honest 1.5" rifle at 100 yards shooting 69 grain Sierra's over 24.5 grains of Varget. Prior to using the Tubb's it was a four to five inch shotgun at 100 yards. You couldn't really call it a group.

I would try this option before buying a new barrel for a Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30 or Mini-6.8. It's much cheaper and will probably get you to actually enjoy the rifle.
    I suggested that to the guy for him to consider... seemed like a reasonable plan of attack since it'a barely a 4-6" grouper at present.
    NRA Life Member

68Forums.com lifer

I sold an older Mini-14 in 5.56 that was one of my favorite carbines. I'm more into ARs now, but the newer Minis are built on newer machines to better tolerances.

If I had a 6.8 Ruger Mini I would:

- Send out to a gunsmith to convert the chamber to SPC II specs. This lowers the pressure significantly and is the numero uno thing you should do. Plus it's inexpensive. Wilson Combat may be able to help. Now you can shoot all the factory ammo produced even the SSA Tac loads at much lower and safer pressures.

- Look into trigger jobs. I have read about gunsmiths offering trigger work on Minis but haven't use them myself. Maybe someone else can provide input. A scoped Mini with a better trigger should help your confidence in shooting groups.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm

- Loading Tubbs FFS, or using IOSSO bore paste to smooth out the bore may help accuracy some. At the least it will make your barrel easier to clean.

After that, you are getting close to spending what a decent AR costs and the benefits of the Mini are minimized in my opinion.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.