6.8 SPC Forums banner

6.8 x 45 Kramer UCC Round

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  RugerIte 
#1 ·
#2 ·
here is the thing... using the 556 case your limited to the amount of powder you can get into the case.. and as such your stil limiting your effective/terminal range. if you have to swap barrels anyways why not swap barrels bolt and mags and call it a day.

#3 ·
I guess you didn't read the entire article...Kramer states that he can get the terminal performance the same with the correct powder. It won't be quite the same fps but it's an urban combat round anyway and the price is the main point of this round. Yea only replacing the barrel vs replacing the barrel, bcg, and magazine is just as easy but the cost per round is the point.

#4 ·
He is getitng 2500 with a 16 inch we are getting 2750 or so out of a 16 inch... thats about 75 yards or so longer of frag range.

You still have to "modify" mags so that is the same price... the stripper clips thing is a plus but you could make stripper clips...

My first post I didnt read the whole article, I just finished reading it... my first post still stands.. the designers of the 68 tried this before and they didnt't like the result so they went with a new case, and then retried all the same bullets and came up with the 6.8 SPC.. with the SPC II and the right spec barrel and ammo loaded to it you have a combo that is very hard to beat in a AR15.

#5 ·
I was just hoping for a "better bang for your buck" 6.8 round. I am hoping to soon buy a LWRC rifle and have really been contemplating buying one in 6.8 spc due to it's current cost, not that LWRC is going to make a different rifle in 6.8 x 45 just for me. Thanks for your insight and help!

#7 ·
Might have been more interesting if they had used the 30 Remington (parent of 6.8 SPC) brass and kept it at 45mm instead of 43.

#12 ·
Look over at arfcom varient forum, a guy over there has done just about every caliber from 243 up to 30 based off of a 556 brass... he has reloading info and such on his threads... he also has a 7mm grendal and some other stuff.

#14 ·
#15 ·
thanks for the good read. for using a .223 parent case those fps were pretty good. i think the best thing to do when using that case is keep the bullets at around 85grs. the 6x45 might be best, but the 7ark was also neat. i'm not gonna switch from the 68 anytime soon tho. i know of a guy who killed a really nice elk using a tc encore pistol and the 7mmTCU....he's disabled so that's a pretty good pistol round for him...i think he said he shot it at like 60yrds and it only ran like 40yrds.

it sucks that he shortened them to 40mm...obviously he wasn't trying to wring out every bit of performance from them....he was jst more or less plinking aroung witht the idea.....or that's how i kind of took it anyways.

#16 ·
I think he did it for the bullet length he wanted to use, depending on that bullet you wanted and the mags you were using you could really customize the cases to fit perfect.

#18 ·
I"m no bullet expert or any thing but here's a few thoughts.

Well if they were looking for some thing decent, they could of necked up the 264 warrior magnum ala 6.5X40mm based on the 222 Remington magnum. A 1970s design and played with it to fit the AR platform, as the 6.5X40mm already does. The 6.5X40mm is used for hunting in Euroland and such, so it would be an easy neck up and still use the same bolt face and um...mags maybe. As I said I'm not an expert.

If it was just cost wise per bullet and conversion by a barrel swap only, there have been several bullets over the years that could of done that. I'm sure some one around here could give a list.

If the military goes for a new cartridge, small arms are the cheapest conversion to do for a military I think vs the cost of air craft carriers and the Ca$h to put planes on them. (hit me with the correcto sick if I'm wrong here!) The 6.8 SPC is already a proven carbine cartridge that works in military and civilian areas, I think it would be a good choice personally, but then I'm biased as I believe the 6.8 SPC is the BEST practical cartridge for its class. That's why I use it in my main carry rifle now. It maybe a Mini 6.8 but still the performance it makes the older twist 1 in 10 gun do, still amazes me!

But then I'm no expert I think its a good idea, but it sounds a bit like the 6.5 MPC and 6mmX45 idea. At least this one seems to have some more horse power behind it and gives some decent performance it looks like.

But then what ever cartridge the Military goes for, I hope it gives our good men and women the best chance to do their jobs to come back home to us.

#19 ·
222 rem mag is jst an extended .223 case. so if you cut it down to 40mm it would be the same as cutting a .223 down to 40mm. a cut down .284 or .308 may be the best thing for an ar15. anything .25-.30cal should be good. i think the main advantage with the 6.8 is you can proly fit a few more rounds in the mag tho. if they ever come out with new saami specs it may jst get picked up by the military....unless ofcourse they already got something in the works.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.