6.8 SPC Forums banner

Smallbore silhouette rifle

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  dredge 
#1 ·
Here's some pictures of my Anschutz 1712 smallbore silhouette rifle. I installed custom Marvin Pearson scope rings and my new Leupold 6.5-20 EFR with custom 1/2 minute dot CPC reticle. All finished ready to compete. The scope rings can be a max height of 1.5" above the receiver. So I'm right in spec. The more erect your head the less you wobble.

See less See more
#4 ·
Just from seeing this, I shot off an email to my father with the link in it. He's a machinist and has a hell of a shop, since he's a high school industrial arts teacher now, and will cut some of these out on his plasma cutter. This looks very interesting to me. We always come up with crazy targets, and found out that 400 plate steel, rather dense, can take a bullet as long as its going below 3000fps, after that it cuts through like butter.

Haha, but yeah, thanks for the info, and you have an amazing looking rifle there, now time to post targets!!

#6 ·
Maybe on my next one. :a01::a01::a01: I'm addicted to rimfires. Now I need a good semi-auto. You know anyone that might know a thing or 2 about them? :a21::a21: I need to save up and see what we can come up with.

I've added these to my collection over the last 6 months or so.

Anschutz 1712
Anschutz 1702 17HM2
CZ 452 american 22lr
CZ 452 american 17HM2
Kimber 82G
NS522

#8 ·
Here's some pictures of my Anschutz 1712 smallbore silhouette rifle. I installed custom Marvin Pearson scope rings and my new Leupold 6.5-20 EFR with custom 1/2 minute dot CPC reticle. All finished ready to compete. The scope rings can be a max height of 1.5" above the receiver. So I'm right in spec. The more erect your head the less you wobble.
that's what she said......

#15 · (Edited)
nemo, i really like your stock and that long barrel... do you feel like you get any real benifit from it? also did you do the stock yourself? looks good. i like yours too jason.

i don't compete or nothing, but figured i'd post up pics of my plinker. lately it's been riding around in my truck and i use it on ocassion for ground squirrels and other persky critters i see hanging around the farm.

#16 ·
for pure off hand shooting the stock and long heavy barrel definetly give the advantage. the stock is a Gatewood. the barrel was a take off from and Annie target rifle. i fitted it and chambered it myself. she is 25" long.

#18 ·
actually a longer barrel is somewhat responsible for better accuracy. the longer barrel is more consistant shot to shot thusly more accurate over the long haul. the ultra tight match chamber dont hurt nothing either.

#19 ·
true...i'd prefer to have a longer barrel if i were gonna compete, but i think the main thing to accuracy with a .22lr is match ammo. that said i can get about a 25 shot 1MOA hole at 50yrds with minimags in mine jst plinking. which is good enough for me, but i admire you guys for having really nice .22lr rifles tho. i jst can't justify spending that match coin for one....especially like an anshuitz or even a custom 10/22 receiver. sometimes i can't believe i spent so much on mine(like only $250 or so more). then again shooting chikens, pigs, turkeys and rams is alot of fun. i used to have a membership to a nice range where they had the nra smallbore silouhetts out to 100yrds and it was alot of fun. you had to hit those rams high at 100yrds to knock them over with the cheap federals...and you were lucky to hit them all with one shot. the mini mags tho almost always did the trick. rabbit sized targets don't stand a chance out to 100yrds and eurasian doves with cb longs around the barn is also alot of fun, but there's not too many left to crap all over the place anymore...:a21::a21::a21:.

#20 ·
the main thing with .22 for accuracy is Barrel, Bedding and Bullets in that order. most other guns are the same way. match grade ammo wont shoot worth a damn out of a junk or sloppy chambered barrel. trust me on that i feed my habit by "fixing" Ruger and other after market barrels.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.