Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    6.8 SPC Lover

Default Rumors of 6.8 SPC II being obsolete?

Just an interesting tid bit I picked up doing a search. What was said is that ammo makers are looking at making a 6.8 x 43 ammo that is hotter but do not want to make it so that it can be chambered in the 6.8 SPC I or II chambers. If such ammo was adopted by the military, it might obsolete the SPC II chambers and would have to re-chamber, a-la-chamber reamer to come to this new spec.

I saw this at the following link: http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19114 Since I'm not a member of the Colorado AR-15 forums I couldn't ask questions. Do you think there is some validity to this story?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis "Thus always to tyrants"

Vern
    Semper Fi
    taurus45acp. com personal website with NRA-ILA feed and interesting links.
    Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting

email: vernon at 68spc2.com

68Forums.com Industry Partner

No..........
    SIX5 -6.5mm on a 6.8 case
    Nexgen the lightest 308 AR coming mid 2014
    http://www.msrhunt.com/

The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

68Forums.com Team Member

sounds to me like some guy proly jst now put two and two together....that stuff to me is considered old news since i have been pretty well informed of the latest and greatest 6.8 stuff thanks to this forum....but if what your saying is true they're gonna have to proly weld the primers in....lol. loads have and are already close to maxed out. i'm guessing that guy is talking about the older 1-10 twist barrels....that of which many have also been reamed out to spec II. from what i've read according to shot show reports remington is gonna offer a spec II with 1-11" twist. HTR was even sly enough to get us a snap shot of one of they're barrels. the 6.8x43 chamber would have the best chance at getting accepted by the military. it's proly the most combat reliable chamber currently avaliable; thanks to H. i'm sure ssa will still make commercial loads for all of us since so many older spec'd barrels are in existance. the military can load ammo however hot they want, but in my opinion there will most likely remain a civilian market for 6.8spc ammo. of course it proly won't be as popular in a few years so they may only sell combat loads...which is fine if you have a barrel with the current specs being offered.

68Forums.com lifer

Aww same old rumor monger who talks about a "New 6.8X43" with no data from what I see. Don't feed the Troll.
    The VI POINT VIII Specification Eye Eye is Great!

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by RugerIte View Post
    Aww same old rumor monger who talks about a "New 6.8X43" with no data from what I see. Don't feed the Troll.
    That's why I asked it in here. They couldn't make it longer since it's designation 6.8 x 43 means 43mm, same as 6.8 SPCII. The can't make the bullet larger since it too is 6.8. Only thing I could think of was to make a sharper shoulder, kind of like the Weatherby ideas, or the 22 K-Hornet. That would increase powder capacity a bit, and along with a looser twist and beefier chamber make for some interesting velocities.

What I never understood, is why they just didn't start out and re-design the cartridge brass to a different size to begin with! They used the 30 Remington and simpy worked with it and re-designed it a bit. I would think that making the brass the same OD as the 7.52 x 39 Soviet round, but longer at 43-45 mm would have given them larger case OD, meaning larger inside case capacity, neced down to .277 diameter with the correct throat and leade. I would not have made much differnce in case size, since you can get barrels and magazines for the 7.62 x 39 Soviet round to fit in the AR-15 schema as it is. Imgaine, instead of loading 28 gr of xxx behind a 115 bullet you could load 35 grains of xxx behind the 120 or 130 gr bullet and have it at the same or faster velocity as what you are getting with a 90 gr bullet out of the SPC II chambers?

Vern
    Semper Fi

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKsarben View Post

That's why I asked it in here. They couldn't make it longer since it's designation 6.8 x 43 means 43mm, same as 6.8 SPCII. The can't make the bullet larger since it too is 6.8. Only thing I could think of was to make a sharper shoulder, kind of like the Weatherby ideas, or the 22 K-Hornet. That would increase powder capacity a bit, and along with a looser twist and beefier chamber make for some interesting velocities.

What I never understood, is why they just didn't start out and re-design the cartridge brass to a different size to begin with! They used the 30 Remington and simpy worked with it and re-designed it a bit. I would think that making the brass the same OD as the 7.52 x 39 Soviet round, but longer at 43-45 mm would have given them larger case OD, meaning larger inside case capacity, neced down to .277 diameter with the correct throat and leade. I would not have made much differnce in case size, since you can get barrels and magazines for the 7.62 x 39 Soviet round to fit in the AR-15 schema as it is. Imgaine, instead of loading 28 gr of xxx behind a 115 bullet you could load 35 grains of xxx behind the 120 or 130 gr bullet and have it at the same or faster velocity as what you are getting with a 90 gr bullet out of the SPC II chambers?
    I'm no expert, but that sounds like something that might exceed pressure levels mandated by the AR-15 platform and / or military specs, both of which were parameters for the cartridge.
    Drifter

I'll say this for the 10th time...

Internet rumor!

What I never understood, is why they just didn't start out and re-design the cartridge brass to a different size to begin with! They used the 30 Remington and simpy worked with it and re-designed it a bit.
    It had to fit in an AR mag.

6.8 SPC Fan

Just an interesting tid bit I picked up doing a search. What was said is that ammo makers are looking at making a 6.8 x 43 ammo that is hotter but do not want to make it so that it can be chambered in the 6.8 SPC I or II chambers. If such ammo was adopted by the military, it might obsolete the SPC II chambers and would have to re-chamber, a-la-chamber reamer to come to this new spec.

I saw this at the following link: http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19114 Since I'm not a member of the Colorado AR-15 forums I couldn't ask questions. Do you think there is some validity to this story?

I'm actually jh308 on that board. I assumed BS, then was pretty sure of it after the response to my questions. Wasn't worth any more of my time after that.

Maybe his "source" had seen the ACR bbl, considering where Magpul is located, and just made an assumption?

ETA: I guess I should ask for an update since SHOT's over...
    Last edited by snaz567; 02-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    The ONLY "Common Sense Laws" that we need is the one that requires our Representative's to use it.

6.8 SPC Lover

True, but what about the re-barreling of an AR-15 to 7.62 x 39? Change bolt, barrel and magazine.

Vern
    Semper Fi