Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
    6.8 SPC Fan

Default 5.56 vs. 6.8 bullet drop

I'm sure this has been answered before, but does anybody have any idea how the 6.8 bullet drops over a range, compared to 5.56? i couldn't really find much of anything.

Reason i'm asking is that i'm trying to pick out a scope for my new build, and there's a model I like by leupold that has a bullet drop compensator that is calibrated to 5.56 55 gr bullets, I need to know if this scope's compensation will work for 6.8, or if it will be close enough when using it.

it's a 3-9x scope, so i won't be shooting at extremely long ranges (<200 yards).

Thanks guys.
    We fight not to enslave, but to set a country free, and to make room upon the earth for honest men to live in.

Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 4, September 11, 1777

If you only plan on shooting <200 yards you do not need a BDC. You can then zero at 50yards, and have about 1.8" high at 100 yards, and about 0.5" low at 200 yards. Thus, very flat to your max range.

If you really want to know the fine details of 6.8 vs 5.56 you need to pull up a ballistic program and try out different weight bullets. I suppose the smart ass answer is.. -9.8m/s^2.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dussander;99949[COLOR=red
    ]If you only plan on shooting <200 yards you do not need a BDC. You can then zero at 50yards, and have about 1.8" high at 100 yards, and about 0.5" low at 200 yards. Thus, very flat to your max range.[/COLOR]

If you really want to know the fine details of 6.8 vs 5.56 you need to pull up a ballistic program and try out different weight bullets. I suppose the smart ass answer is.. -9.8m/s^2.
    Agreed. Under 200 just point and shoot.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

Combat/Flight medic- 88-94, Flight Nurse 94-08, Chief Nurse / CCATT 05-08, Marksmanship Team 00-08
    Tours -Desert storm 2, Somalia 1, Bosnia 3, Afghan. 2, Iraq 1

Near San Jacinto--The Birthplace of Texas Liberty

Default A Comparative Reference....

You may look to the trajectory characteristics of the 7.62 x 51mm /168 gr Match (.308 WCF) for a closer comparison on paper when going beyond 200 yds, and shooting 6.8mm / 110-115 gr bullets of a similar configuration and velocity (2550-2600 fps MV). This would be for paperwork starting at home. The real data can only be derived from the shooting range and a chronograph.
    ---"Sword to the hilt---Blade to the bone---Tooth and nail to the Last."

---NRA Life / TSRA---Yes / USAF Vet

68Forums.com lifer

Yes for 200 yard work,

Just zero at 200/50 yards with your loads of choice.

Flight path will peak at less than 2" over line of sight at around 125 yards.

Check the link in my sig for some pre-made 68 tables.

If you really want to know more, try the ballistic calc at biggameinfo and punch in the values there.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT Covert Comp Flash Hiders 7.62 & 5.56
    BRT MicroPin Gas Blocks
    BRT MarkBlue Gas Tubes
    BRT MicroTune Gas Blocks
    BRT CustomTune Gas Ports

6.8x43 Ballistics