6.8 SPC Forums banner

Anybody reloading with a Dillon 550

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  68ar15 
#1 ·
I have a Dillon 550 that I haven't touched in years & I want to get back into reloading.

So far I have picked up a set of RCBS SB dies,Lee crimp die,& shell holders from RCBS & lee for the hand primer

Most of my reloading consists of using a RCBS single stage press. What am I going to need to start using the Dillon press or should I just stick to a single stage press for the 6.8?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Reload everthing but benchrest style cartridges on my 550-B's and would not be opposed to loading them too. Though I do resize rifle cartridges on a single stage before running them through the 550-B. I think it gives me better control of headspace, then I tunmble, trim and prime prior to loading. I use RCBS's bench mounted primer or Lee's hand held depending on what mood I'm in.

This allows me to just handle bullets and powder when running the press and I can give my undivided attention to the process. I visually check each case for powder prior to seating the bullet. Quality is just as good as single stage and faster despite my process.

I purchased Dillon's AT-500 and added their index wheel and shell ejector for rifle only duty. I run a Redding BR-30 on that press instead of Dillon's. The press was around $280.00 with those upgrades. Another $140.00 for the Redding plus some adapter dies.

My poor single stage presses must feel pretty lonely about now.

#4 ·
Reload everything but benchrest style cartridges on my 550-B's and would not be opposed to loading them too. Though I do resize rifle cartridges on a single stage before running them through the 550-B. I think it gives me better control of headspace, then I tumble, trim and prime prior to loading. I use RCBS's bench mounted primer or Lee's hand held depending on what mood I'm in.

This allows me to just handle bullets and powder when running the press and I can give my undivided attention to the process. I visually check each case for powder prior to seating the bullet. Quality is just as good as single stage and faster despite my process.

I purchased Dillon's AT-500 and added their index wheel and shell ejector for rifle only duty. I run a Redding BR-30 on that press instead of Dillon's. The press was around $280.00 with those upgrades. Another $140.00 for the Redding plus some adapter dies.

My poor single stage presses must feel pretty lonely about now.
I load the exact same way, I clean(if needed) and size/decap all my brass(rifle) on my single stage LnL press because I check OAL of the brass, delude, and clean the primer pockets & other prep work that is needed so sizing on the AP just isnt efficient due to my process.

Then I prime all of my brass using a RCBS universal hand primer or Lee's ram prime(slow but has the best feel for seating primers ever, and will easily prime tight pockets without flattening the primer like the hand primer does) on very tight primer pockets I have trouble getting #41 primers in with the hand primer. I only have this problem with 6.8 brass(SSA & Hornady), I can easily hand prime all 5.56 brass I have used. I also do this so I dont have to worry about that backwards step on the LnL AP press since sometimes I forget to prime and have powder everywhere if it's a fine ball.

Then when I get to the AP I just start feeding it brass and bullets and it takes care of the rest, it seems slower but once you get the method down I can finish the 100 primed brass in just about 15 Min's.

I do all my 6.8 rounds on the single stage for more control of every process, but I have two complete Hornady die sets for .223 so I can load precision on the single and plinking on the AP without making any adjustments(but powder cap.).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.