6.8 SPC Forums banner

Which 1-6x illuminated scope ?

11K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  LocoGringo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

Can someone steer me towards a nice 1-6x or 1.5-6x scope. Schmidt and Bender are just a tad too expensive.
I would like to stay in the $1000 range. Im pretty much trusting you guys on this one. Name a couple and i will go get one. Thanks for the help

Oh also this is for CQB to mid range action.

#6 ·
If you are truly doing CQB, I would still opt for a 1x but wouldn't be concerned with going so high on magnification. Coming back to the VX-R, they also do a 1-4x and the reticle setup is very nice.

My 6.8 is a hunting rifle, so 2x is perfect for walking around and most deer shots, but I can go up to 7x if I need to.

#8 ·
I used my 6.8 fitted with a 2-8x Nikon Monarch in a 3-gun match last month and it worked perfectly. Some of the targets were less than 10 yards distant and it was no problem hitting them accurately and fast. The problem you are going to find is the range of power you are looking for. Most true 1x scopes have a 4 power range...meaning they will go from 1-4 power. Most scopes I know use either a 3 or 4 power range. Of course there are exceptions, but those exceptions are pricey. You can do REALLY well going the way mas360 recommended. You can get a GREAT 4-16x scope and add a J-point, Burris or other microdot sight mounted on the side or at an angle and still be much less than $1000. Not sure if it matters, but 2 sights like that will bump you up to "open" class in 3-gun competitions.

#10 ·
No, it is that to have a true 1x, and still go up to >5x, it is more difficult to accomplish and thus more expensive. I believe additional lenses are required to effectively manipulate the light through that much magnification. More focused glass equals more money.

#12 ·
I can see I wasn't very clear in my explanation. 68WJ is correct.

Look at this example: You have a 4-16 power scope. That scope has a POWER RANGE of 4. It is the upper power (16) divided by the lower power range (4). 16/4=4 (the power range) A 3-9 power scope has a POWER RANGE of 3 (9/3=3). What you are looking for is a scope that has a power range of 6. That type of range is very rare and requires a lot more complication within the scope to make it happen. That is going to dramatically increase the cost of the scope. On my dedicated 3-gun rifle I have a 1-4 power scope (upper setting divided by lower setting = total power range) which gives me the zero magnification I want for those close shots, but gives me enough magnification to get the distant shots. My reticle is also a mildot type system, so I can go to the range and learn my reticle and get even more distant shots with the magnification set to 4 power. I have settings in between the 1 and 4 for 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 which gives me versatility for my personal preferences. My scope cost me $400. You could get a very nice 4-16 power scope for that price (or maybe a little more), mount a compact red dot sight like the Burris or J-point for another $300 and still be under your $1000 limit with all of your bases covered.

#14 ·
Please, don't laugh too hard at the name or if you look it up online. I bought it thinking I would get a different reticle and I got the most complicated thing I've ever seen in a CQB/mid-range scope. However, it's illuminated and good glass and I thought it would be more trouble than it's worth to send it back and keep looking AND it hasn't confused me yet. It's a "Counter Sniper" Crusader.

#16 · (Edited)
I know you said not to, but I couldn't help but laugh a little. Look at that reticle! :a30:You can also do land nav with the thing and give a 10 digit grid! What it needs is some dials and blinking lights too so that it will look good in the movies. :a01:

#17 ·
Yep, now imagine that stupid reticle on a 1-4 power scope! RIDICULOUS! It's pure marketing, but I decided to stick with it because, as I said, I thought it would be more trouble than it was worth to return it and the glass is good quality. Like I said, it hasn't confused me YET.

#27 ·
Hey t9alejandro,

If you REALLY want to learn about scopes you should really spend some time here - http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1

There is some great info on scopes and lots of other things on that forum! The people definitely aren't as friendly as they are here but before you lay down 1k+ on a scope you should do as much research as possible. It would suck to lay that kind of money down on a scope and not be happy with it! Trust me I know :a43:

#28 ·
Hey t9alejandro,

If you REALLY want to learn about scopes you should really spend some time here - http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1

There is some great info on scopes and lots of other things on that forum! The people definitely aren't as friendly as they are here but before you lay down 1k+ on a scope you should do as much research as possible. It would suck to lay that kind of money down on a scope and not be happy with it! Trust me I know :a43:
Thats funny you say that. Thats where i spend the last 30min. And i realized that you can get a hell of a scope for already 700.
Quick question. Exposed turrets vs. capped. Whats the ups and downs?

#29 ·
If you are going to hunt, the capped one would be better in my opinion. The exposed turret is more for varmint shooters who sit at a table trying to hit a ground squirrel at 600 yards away and crow about the shot. For deer/hog hunt, you make adjustment by Kentucky windage....:a08:

The exposed one also tempts some goblins to play with it and then when you see a hog showing up you never realized someone has conveniently turned a few clicks earlier without your awareness.....and bang...the hog looked at you and laughed his way into the bush.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.