6.8 SPC Forums banner

Bushmaster 6.8 Upper. Opinions?

19K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  constructor 
#1 · (Edited)
Bushmaster 6.8 Upper. Opinions? **Pg 3 Update, Pics**, Impressions Pg 5

I just ordered a 6.8 Bushmaster upper.
I was wondering what everyones opinion is of these?
Thanks.

#9 ·
No not neccisarily. Everyone I talk to that hates the AR platform says they had a BM. I would put my trust one of the other brands that around the same price. BM reminds me a sigma... Just my opinion. I can attest for RRA, great rifle, so are stags. And ask anyone here about ARP, why go with BM? Just how I see it.

#10 · (Edited)
I have 2 bushmaster uppers, one is a 16" M4 profile .223 1/9" and the other is a 16" M4 profile 6.8 SAAMI 1/10" . I just rebarreled the 6.8 upper with one of ARP's barrels. However both uppers performed just fine--no malfunctions, exploding uppers, shots 9" to the right, anything like that.

People that judge a product based on the feedback of others are just parrots. Unless you have conclusive, factual data to suggest a manufacturer is no good then its just conjecture and opinion. If BM was as bad as you make them out to be, they probably would not have managed to stay in business for 37 years...but thats just conjecture, I don't have any data to suggest otherwise.

While I'm at it, I do have one RRA upper. It arrived with unevenly ground feed ramps, a charging handle with chipped anodizing, and a bad dust cover spring. But I'm sure they make good rifles, and they also like to use red loctite on their barrel nuts. So, YMMV....

#12 ·
I'm using a BushMaster barrel on my "parts" gun. Its a 1/10 but the chamber has been reamed and the ramps opened a bit. It works just fine and I'm shooting less than moa with 95grn TTSX over Re10X. No reason the new 1/11 barrel wouldn't be as good or better. .......but oh dear god, don't forget to re-stake your carrier key or the Bushie police will get ya! Bushie bashing is just an outlet for the computer commando's :a41: lol.

#25 · (Edited)
Already have a 6.8 Diplomat pistol.

I couldn't resist the price on this BM upper. $500 for a complete A3 upper w/ mag. It all came today. 1/11 marked on the barrel.

Swapped the carbine handguards with some dbl. heatshield M4's. The carrier was staked, but added a little extra love to it. Also added an O-ring to the exractor bushing. Ditched the Izzy for a Surefire brake (althought I'll probably never get a can for it). Troy flip-up rear and Trijicon tri-power (love the red cheveron). Droped it on a Stag lower (fit like a glove). Upgraded to a Spike ST 2 buffer and Tubbs flat coil spring.

Just need to shoot it. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of an F marked front sight post. Not sure if it will matter.

Pics:

#14 ·
The new BM 6.8 uppers should be a decent product. They have SPC II chambers, 1:11 4-groove rifling, 4150 steel, M4 feedramps, chrome lining, etc. The only criticism is the carbine gas, but that is a workable solution with the right buffer and spring set up.

There's some BM bashing online, but lots of it seems to be internet legends that won't go away. If you like other brands than BM, fine, buy what you want. Bushmaster has their share of fans as well.

#17 ·
I've had 2 Bushmasters. The first one I sold to my best friend when things were tight. Wish I still had it. 3/8" groups at 100 yards. That from a chrome lined barrel. So I bought a second when things got better. 450 yard p-dogs are no problem. Both 20" barrel. Free float forend. Both in 5.56.

So I like Bushmaster. That's my opinion. Not one I read somewhere.

Paul

#19 ·
Cabela's and Academy Sporting Goods have had pretty good sales on BMs 5.56 M4s lately. $899. I was tempted by the decent price. Then DARRWIN PRECISION showed up wth the LMT M4 uppers in the EE and I went that route instead. :a31:

#24 ·
I love my TA31DOC. Once I get a TA31H-68 on my new ARP/LaRue hunting recon rifle (yet to be built), I'll put my TA31DOC on my LaRue 5.56 Stealth Sniper System and I think a simple red DOT will be in order for the LMT.... ACOG is on my 6.8RRA for now, But it's all fixing to get flipped around. Like I said, I've got so many ideas, but no time. I've been on the road for 40 days now making the money to do it all, ha!

#33 ·
Hey Dump

I hope you post your groupings or range feed back on here when you take it out, ill be very interested in getting one for that price if the feed back is good. Hoping to go pig hunting with it and the ARP's are a bit out of my price range and dont like how the stags dont have feed ramps so these BM's might be perfect.

#36 ·
I hope you post your groupings or range feed back on here when you take it out, ill be very interested in getting one for that price if the feed back is good. Hoping to go pig hunting with it and the ARP's are a bit out of my price range and dont like how the stags dont have feed ramps so these BM's might be perfect.
Looking forward to results as well..I am interested in one.
Hopefully Monday.

It will only be at an indoor range (25 yards) & more of a function/CQB accuracy test.

Sorry, I rarely get out and shoot for groups at longer ranges anymore.

#35 ·
I inspected one of the new spec'd BM 6.8 M4 rifles at the recent FW Gun Show. It seemed well put together, the barrel markings showed chrome lining, 1:11 twist. $895 + tax out the door.

The M4 feed ramps were uniform and deep, matching up well with the barrel extension. Looks like a good rifle for that price range. I was tempted, but have other AR projects underway. :a45:

Keep an eye out for Armalite's new spec'd uppers and rifles as well.

#38 ·
I inspected one of the new spec'd BM 6.8 M4 rifles at the recent FW Gun Show. It seemed well put together, the barrel markings showed chrome lining, 1:11 twist. $895 + tax out the door.

The M4 feed ramps were uniform and deep, matching up well with the barrel extension. Looks like a good rifle for that price range. I was tempted, but have other AR projects underway. :a45:

Keep an eye out for Armalite's new spec'd uppers and rifles as well.
You're killin me Art.... I got ARs comin out my ears! Now I have to buy an Armalite! I got it bad... Got the shakes, better go fondle my black rifles.

#37 ·
My 6.8 is a BM 1:10, picked it up in January from PKFirearms.com after waiting on a CMMG order for six months. While I haven't really put it through its paces, it hasn't given me any cause for complaint. When I heard that they had just switched to 1:11 SPC II I fired off an email they said they'd exchange my current barrel for the new one; pretty nice customer service IMHO.

#41 ·
Not really a review, just my impressions.

Shot the BM upper today at my local indoor 25 yard range.

Put 30 rounds of Remington 115 FMJ and 10 rounds of SSA 90 Gr TNT through it. At $1.00 a round, I couldn't go real crazy.

I did not have any malfunction.

The only issue I had was seating the first round in the chamber. If I used the bolt release, no problem. If I tried to sling shot it, the round wouldn't feed correctly. It would hang-up half way in the chamber and lock the bolt open. I would than have the pull the bolt back a little and re-release.

I didn't find this a big issue, and in all honesty, it could have been my fault. I added the O-ring bushing to the extractor spring like I do on all my .223/5.56's. Not sure if this is needed on the 6.8.

I shot a slow fire group while leaning against the side of the shooting booth at 25 yards. I was able to keep all rounds within a fist size group. Obviously not a true test of accuracy, but for my intended purposes (CQB ranges), I was happy.

I didn't use the irons at all to see if the shorter non-F marked front sight post would be a problem.

What was nice is I pulled optic I was using (Trijicon Tri-power) off a .223/5.56 upper I had and stuck it on the 6.8. It didn't require any re-zeroing with the 115 gr. bullet for the type of shooting I did. (Maybe If I was doing more precise shooting it may have needed a turn here or there). The 90 gr. bullets seemed to shoot a little low.

I also dumped a fairly quick 10 rounds without any problems (not too quick though, indoor range rules on no rapid fire).

I stripped the BCG out at home and didn't see any abnormal wear. Really wasn't even that dirty (although it was only 40 rounds of quaility ammo).

So overall, I'm happy with my $500 BM upper.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.