PDA

View Full Version : CMMG producing 6.8 Piston Uppers

ArtFWTx
08-29-2009, 01:41 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=145&t=178629

FYI.. Spotted this thread on ARFCOM. CMMG already has 4-groove 1:11 SPC II barrels in stock. This could be an interesting upper.

ron169
08-29-2009, 02:17 AM
That does sound very very interesting

CaseyJ
08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Very Nice!

ArtFWTx
08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
They have a 5.56 piston upper for $675 complete. If their 6.8 upper comes in around this price point it should get lots of attention.

Lastrites
08-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes but the real question is how will the accuracy be compared to the DI system. I just can't expect it to as good.

nfldraftdog
08-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes but the real question is how will the accuracy be compared to the DI system. I just can't expect it to as good.

There is no reason why it shouldn't be just as good (accuracy) if not better than a gas impingement. I have an FNAR which is gas piston and it is one of the most accurate (non custom) semi automatic rifles available today.

ormandj
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
They have a 5.56 piston upper for $675 complete. If their 6.8 upper comes in around this price point it should get lots of attention.

Not knowing much of anything about gas piston uppers, how reliable is the CMMG 5.56 piston upper? Or, their uppers in general? I'm always wary of deals that are close to being too good to be true. :)

David

jmarston
08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know about CMMG's uppers but I really love the spec 2 barrel I bought from them. Even though It is a 1-10 twist it is very
accurate and I have pushed the loads past the point I would be comfortable with in an original saami barrel without pressure
signs.

remat457
08-30-2009, 06:27 PM

That would be a very interesting option!

ArtFWTx
08-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Not knowing much of anything about gas piston uppers, how reliable is the CMMG 5.56 piston upper? Or, their uppers in general? I'm always wary of deals that are close to being too good to be true. :)

David

These new piston uppers are something like CMMGs third edition. They've made running modifications like pinning the gas block to the barrel, improving the anti-tilt pads on the bolt carrier, go. There are a couple posts in the new product section in ARFCOM with a couple owner reviews of the 5.56 version. The feedback has been positive from the posts I've read. Their features sound right; one piece carrier with anti-tilt pads, pinned gas block, chrome plated piston components, adjustable gas block.

I think their idea of having the piston as a regular production option on their uppers is a good idea. One of the CMMG managers stated they plan for the piston to be around a $100 option above the regular cost of the complete upper.

ArtFWTx
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
CMMG posted they are offering the piston option for $100 when you buy a new carbine or mid length upper from them.

"It (piston option) was supposed to be added last week (to CMMG's website). If you see a carbine or Mid upper you like, just indicate in the comment section you want it upgraded to piston for $100. We will manually enter until we get the site upgraded."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=454524&page=2

moaracer
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Just picked up a CMMG 6.8 piston upper , they call it an LEP II, pinned on, 16", 1 in 11, 4 groove, chrome, SPECII chamber, this past Sat. Since then ordered small base dies(back-ordered I should say) small primer SSA cases, and Sierra 110 PH, (ALSO back ordered) I'll be using AR Performances break-in with the IOSSO paste etc. I'll post accuracy. The bolt is a one piece, huge "skis" on the rear, looks like an adaptation of the full auto bolt. over all a very nice upper. Tight fit on a RRA carbine lower I built up. Piston upper only $100 more than the DI one.

ArtFWTx
09-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Just picked up a CMMG 6.8 piston upper , they call it an LEP II, pinned on, 16", 1 in 11, 4 groove, chrome, SPECII chamber, this past Sat. Since then ordered small base dies(back-ordered I should say) small primer SSA cases, and Sierra 110 PH, (ALSO back ordered) I'll be using AR Performances break-in with the IOSSO paste etc. I'll post accuracy. The bolt is a one piece, huge "skis" on the rear, looks like an adaptation of the full auto bolt. over all a very nice upper. Tight fit on a RRA carbine lower I built up. Piston upper only $100 more than the DI one.

Congrats! Can't wait to hear how it runs. You're one of the first I know of who has one of their new barrels. CMMG is one of the companies who researched the 6.8 and quietly changed their specs to the newer standard 1:11 4-groove. Now you can get a tested piston upper for a $100 upgrade. That's impressive.

Throw some pics up in a new thread when you have the chance.

Art

moaracer
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately the break-in might be my only chance to shoot this one......I built it for my slightly built 12 yr old left handed son as his first deer rifle. Figured it wouldn't recoil too bad and the stock will grow with him. And of course there is the off chance he won't like it and give it back to his old man........right!. build #2 might not be too long off!

moaracer
10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
What a sweet shooter.... the break in took several hours, but what fun the boy and I had. He fired all the shots, I did the cleaning.... Several of the other gentleman on the range wanted to know if I was interested in adopting them when they saw my 12 year old shooting his piston 6.8. Flawless, first CMMG, won't be the last.

ArtFWTx
10-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Great news. Hopefully CMMG will get more attention on this upper. They have the good 6.8 barrel specs, and their LEP system seems to work well. Put up a pic if you can.

RugerIte
10-29-2009, 01:29 AM
moaracer: Was it easier to clean than a normal DI gun?

All this advent of Pistons is making me thinking of changing the next gun purchase...or most likely may start a slow AR build over time. 6.8 SPC of course as it to will be a hunting gun for longer range with proper specs and barrel, if I get a 5.56 nato gun it will probably be another Mini-14 for economic reasons and for having a 5.56 nato shooter around. The only thing that may stop both is getting an AR-10 or M1A...my polytech m-14 I lucked out and got a good shooter that I take places other's would balk at taking an M1A, but a REAL one is still on top of my list or an AR-10 some people suggested..

But doing a build over time now looks more feasible and I maybe pestering people here on what good affordable quality parts to start with would be. If they are tired and annoyed of me there are always the archives :D:D