PDA

View Full Version : Federal 90 grain gold dot - XM68GD ???

MDWS
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Has anyone heard of this stuff? Any good? Is it available anywhere?

Thanks!

Nswish
05-20-2013, 11:39 PM
HTR did a mini write up on it a few months ago with VERY favorable thoughts, it would be worth looking that one up.
Problem is it isn't commercially available yet, although we did have a new member here suggest you could buy it at the factory and walk out the door with it. Seems like there would be more of it popping up on the open market if that were the case. There was some on GB too for about $2 a round but I got the feeling there might have been some connection to the new guy and the GB listings, just speculation though.

WASSMAN
05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33869-WRR-harvests-first-Whitetail-deer-with-Federal-s-6-8-SPC-90-gr-Gold-Dot

Who know when we will get it. They are being produced but shipped overseas.

Nswish
05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?37920-WRR-Federal-xm68gd-YouTube&highlight=lwrc

Some newer stuff in the youtube link in this thread. Chris got walked all over by the pawn guys so we haven't heard too much in the way of a formal review since this was started.

MDWS
05-20-2013, 11:51 PM
So I guess I'm a little confused.. it is LE/Mil only? Can't get it?

Capella
05-21-2013, 12:00 AM

I actually bought some for this guy in Minnesota and gave me a really good deal for 500 rounds. I shot about 50 rounds already and shot great for me.

MDWS
05-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Ok so totally legal to buy if you find it?

dark1
05-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Ok so totally legal to buy if you find it?

Um yeah why wouldn't it be ?? It isn't AP or explosive..

Damn Auto Correct !!!!!!!!!

dark1
05-21-2013, 12:09 AM

No but they have 2 giant orders from Saudi and Jordan that is equipping there Royal security forces with LWRC 6Eights and that is taking up 100% of production.

MDWS
05-21-2013, 12:21 AM
No but they have 2 giant orders from Saudi and Jordan that is equipping there Royal security forces with LWRC 6Eights and that is taking up 100% of production.

Understood... didn't know if it was a LE/MIL ONLY thing. Ok, thanks. Looks like a great cartridge. Hopefully they release them sometime.

ppapago
05-21-2013, 12:26 AM
The ammo is on gunbroker right now. The seller has had it listed numerous times. Looks like he has a bunch

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343119416

MDWS
05-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Yikes... pricey... I'll wait. But thanks for posting the link!

Equalizer_2
05-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Yikes... pricey... I'll wait. But thanks for posting the link!

If only people would refuse to pay these exorbitant prices. I venture that the seller works for Federal and picks it up cheap for resale and is making a pretty penny in profit.

MDWS
05-21-2013, 01:10 AM
If only people would refuse to pay these exorbitant prices. I venture that the seller works for Federal and picks it up cheap for resale and is making a pretty penny in profit.

I won't pay it!

BC98
05-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I venture that the seller works for Federal and picks it up cheap for resale and is making a pretty penny in profit.

The seller owns a small gun business in MN and does not appear to work for Federal. I am not sure how he came across this ammo.

Woodstock
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Would you use this for a hunting round? I always think of Gold Dots as a self defense sort or round. That is what I load for my .45auto.

WASSMAN
05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Would you use this for a hunting round? I always think of Gold Dots as a self defense sort or round. That is what I load for my .45auto.

I would use them for hunting. They open up like a accubond or Barnes so why not hunting.

MDWS
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I would use them for hunting. They open up like a accubond or Barnes so why not hunting.

Agreed. Relatively flat shooter, apparently reliable and controlled expansion, looks like a great hunting round and secondary fighting round. I'll keep my eyes out for some affordable offerings, if any.

Aspp
05-21-2013, 12:45 PM
The ammo is on gunbroker right now. The seller has had it listed numerous times. Looks like he has a bunch

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343119416

Thats only about 1.40/round, for a premium bullet in a loaded case, I think its not too bad. I dont have the coin to buy it, and couldnt hunt with it even if I did, but I would love to be able to try some out.
The SSA 100gr Accubonds are going for about 1.37/round for compairson....

Woodstock
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I see now, I am thinking of the Speer Gold Dot which is a jacketed hollow point. These are not the same type round as what I had pictured in my head.

susi
05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Thats only about 1.40/round, for a premium bullet in a loaded case, I think its not too bad. I dont have the coin to buy it, and couldnt hunt with it even if I did, but I would love to be able to try some out.

Why couldn't you hunt with them with a 5 round or smaller magazine? Is it Kalifornia thing? No evil rifles for hunting? Or because of lead cores in the bullets? or? just curious, in Arizona they'd be OK for hunting with a 5 round magazine. Unless...one was hunting where the endangered California Vulture (condor) habituates.

Again just curious.

Aspp
05-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Why couldn't you hunt with them with a 5 round or smaller magazine? Is it Kalifornia thing? No evil rifles for hunting? Or because of lead cores in the bullets? or? just curious, in Arizona they'd be OK for hunting with a 5 round magazine. Unless...one was hunting where the endangered California Vulture (condor) habituates.

Again just curious.

I live inside the lead free zone, I cant hunt with bullets that have a lead core in most of my hunting areas. From rumors I am hearing, all of CA might become lead free in the next year or two.

coondog
05-22-2013, 12:07 AM

That's was what I was thinking. Less than $30 a box for bonded ammo is not bad.

CaptGrumpy
05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
From rumors I am hearing, all of CA might become lead free in the next year or two.

you guys need to wake up as it is not only for all California that they are looking at turning lead free. The goal is to turn the entire country and don't sit here and say that will never happen. They are getting closer every single day.

Aspp
05-22-2013, 10:26 AM
you guys need to wake up as it is not only for all California that they are looking at turning lead free. The goal is to turn the entire country and don't sit here and say that will never happen. They are getting closer every single day.

Yup, it will happen to us soon, where as the rest of the country will take 5-10 years at least.

WASSMAN
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Yup, it will happen to us soon, where as the rest of the country will take 5-10 years at least.

If this happens more bullet manufactures will produce lead free hunting bullets. Which in turn puts more competition in that market and the result of that is usually lower cost. I don't mind using Barnes or CEB for example they are deadly bullets and to have more of manufactures try to compete with these bullets is a good thing. Just a look at the brighter side of things.

dark1
05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
If this happens more bullet manufactures will produce lead free hunting bullets. Which in turn puts more competition in that market and the result of that is usually lower cost. I don't mind using Barnes or CEB for example they are deadly bullets and to have more of manufactures try to compete with these bullets is a good thing. Just a look at the brighter side of things.

The only problem is Copper and brass is a lot more expensive of a bace materiel than led so they will always be more expensive than lead core projectiles. And bismuth is to unpredictable to make an accurate projectile.

JoeHarley13
05-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the push for "lead free" was motivated to drive the cost of ammo sky high to get ammo out of the hands of gun owners. Would $50/box of 9mm and $100/box of heavier 45 ACP put a dent in your shooting habits?
Tin foil hat please.

Aspp
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
The only problem is Copper and brass is a lot more expensive of a bace materiel than led so they will always be more expensive than lead core projectiles. And bismuth is to unpredictable to make an accurate projectile.

This is very true.

Wouldn't surprise me if the push for "lead free" was motivated to drive the cost of ammo sky high to get ammo out of the hands of gun owners. Would $50/box of 9mm and $100/box of heavier 45 ACP put a dent in your shooting habits?
Tin foil hat please.

There is a big push to ban lead in ammo because it is contaiminating groundwater supplys, which is BS, but the BS is gaining traction here in CA like always.

rabbit91476
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Every time i go out i put 1-200 lead 45 colts down range. That will get pricey with lead ban