PDA

View Full Version : 80 grain Amax reloading....

Aimright
05-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to reload with 80 grain Amax bullets to run out of ARP 1:8 twist 223 Wylde 16" barrel. The problem I am having is trying to find load data to get these things to fit in a mag. Ramshot has data for these bullets at an OAL of 2.260. But trying to find specific powders right now is tough. I was wondering if anyone has produced this round with another powder. Thanks for your input.

Action Reaction

constructor
05-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to reload with 80 grain Amax bullets to run out of ARP 1:8 twist 223 Wylde 16" barrel. The problem I am having is trying to find load data to get these things to fit in a mag. Ramshot has data for these bullets at an OAL of 2.260. But trying to find specific powders right now is tough. I was wondering if anyone has produced this round with another powder. Thanks for your input.

Action Reaction 23-24gr of RE15 or Varget. They are so close you can use the 77gr Sierra data.
Load those bullets as long as possible...as long as they will fit in the mag.

Aimright
05-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks a lot....that was my thoughts but wanted to hear it from a pro...

Action Reaction

BamaInArk
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Never loaded them but from my understanding the 80 gr AMAX loaded properly will not fit into an AR-15 mag. At least with enough powder charge and/or proper bullet seating. You have to single load them or fire from a bolt gun. Seems to me there was a thread on the ARFCOM Reloading forum of a guy trying it but it's been a couple of years now. He even posted pics but they were loaded short.

Stack
05-13-2013, 12:49 PM
It's been a while and my data isn't here but it seems I remember that 24 grains of RE 15 and loaded as out at 2.285, they were faster than I expected out of my gun.
I do remember them being faster than either the 68 or 75 grain Hornadys with the same charge.
I'll look for the data after work.

Aimright
05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
I've heard of people doing it...and I'm going with constructors instructions....starting at 21 grains varget....let you know my results...

Action Reaction

Aimright
05-13-2013, 06:59 PM
It's hard to get past the visual....

Action Reaction

sengk
05-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Are you guys loading these to mag length or single loading them into an ar15?

Simple Man
05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Looks like "SPROUT" may be hunting with an AR this season.:a04: Yes, It is hard to get past the visual.

Aimright
05-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Are you guys loading these to mag length or single loading them into an ar15?

Yes I am loading then to mag length..I can fit a 2.280 oal into my pmag

Action Reaction

Aimright
05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Looks like "SPROUT" may be hunting with an AR this season.:a04: Yes, It is hard to get past the visual.

Haha simple man....she is hooked on the broadheads for now lucky me...

Action Reaction

sengk
05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes I am loading then to mag length..I can fit a 2.280 oal into my pmag

Action Reaction

Everything I've read on the internet has pointed out that when loaded to mag length these bullets would be a) too deep into the case to have enough room for powder to get good velocities and b) the bullet would be too deep into the case to provide enough tension on the bullet.

Do you see any problems with bullet setback with the rounds in the mag during firing or when the round is chambered?

Any difference between the 75gr AMAX and 80gr AMAX other than the BC?

Aimright
05-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Everything I've read on the internet has pointed out that when loaded to mag length these bullets would be a) too deep into the case to have enough room for powder to get good velocities and b) the bullet would be too deep into the case to provide enough tension on the bullet.

Do you see any problems with bullet setback with the rounds in the mag during firing or when the round is chambered?

Any difference between the 75gr AMAX and 80gr AMAX other than the BC?

Tension is good before a slight crimp...powder is good so far up to 22 grains. Hodgdon shows 23.7 being a compressed load for varget under a 77 gr seirra fmjhpbt... im still loading test rounds. We'll see....