PDA

View Full Version : ARP .308 barrel can use either pattern bolt/bolt carrier?

ack495
02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I am in the process of building a Mega MATEN. I just acquired a brand new 16" ARP LW .308/7.62 barrel. I've been told that I can use EITHER an armalite or dpms bolt carrier group with this barrel/barrel extension. This goes against all the information I have come to understand to this point. Which is, if you've got a AR10/Noveseke barrel then you have to go with an Armalite bolt and carrier. And if you buy a DPMS/SR25 barrel then the same applies. Just looking for some knowledge so I don't buy the wrong BCG and **** my **** up. Plus things are so damn expensive, I just want to buy the right one the first time around. Thanks.

Reaver
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
From the MEGA web page, Bolts & BarrelsDesigned to accept any AR style .308 barrels and bolts*. This means you can use your AR10/Noveske or SR25/DPMS components.
*We recommend using the same manufacture for your barrel and bolt. As always assembly should be done by a qualified gunsmith, using the proper head spacing gages.

http://megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

I am in the process of building a Mega MATEN. I just acquired a brand new 16" ARP LW .308/7.62 barrel. I've been told that I can use EITHER an armalite or dpms bolt carrier group with this barrel/barrel extension. This goes against all the information I have come to understand to this point. Which is, if you've got a AR10/Noveseke barrel then you have to go with an Armalite bolt and carrier. And if you buy a DPMS/SR25 barrel then the same applies. Just looking for some knowledge so I don't buy the wrong BCG and **** my **** up. Plus things are so damn expensive, I just want to buy the right one the first time around. Thanks.

Bugg77
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

My friend and I both asked H the same question. Basically you can use either style of BCG (carrier AND bolt), but you can't mix and match the bolts and carriers.

constructor
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
To figure this out all you have to do is buy an Armalite bolt and a DPMS bolt and measure them side by side.

ack495
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
From the MEGA web page, Bolts & BarrelsDesigned to accept any AR style .308 barrels and bolts*. This means you can use your AR10/Noveske or SR25/DPMS components.
*We recommend using the same manufacture for your barrel and bolt. As always assembly should be done by a qualified gunsmith, using the proper head spacing gages.

http://megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/

Yeah, I've seen this. But I've come to understand that if your using a AR10/noveske barrel with same barrel extension, you must use that bolt and same on the other side, DPMS extension/DMPS bolt. But its like the ARP barrel is some sort of hybrid that works with either BCG.

My friend and I both asked H the same question. Basically you can use either style of BCG (carrier AND bolt), but you can't mix and match the bolts and carriers.

Thats great. Definitely opens the options. Thanks for the responses.

Bugg77
02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
To figure this out all you have to do is buy an Armalite bolt and a DPMS bolt and measure them side by side.

Come on H! You know how that will turn out. If we bought one of each, we'd end up building a second AR for that orphaned BCG! Now I see why your business is booming. ;)

Reaver
02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Hahahahah, you caught him out ;)

Come on H! You know how that will turn out. If we bought one of each, we'd end up building a second AR for that orphaned BCG! Now I see why your business is booming. ;)

constructor
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM

LOL I can hear it now. "hey, I found a gas tube roll pin. I need to build this into another rifle!"

Reaver
02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
You know, I have an Ergo grip coming in, I may have to start another rifle using the standard grip. Do you think the wife will buy it?

LOL I can hear it now. "hey, I found a gas tube roll pin. I need to build this into another rifle!"

constructor
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
You know, I have an Ergo grip coming in, I may have to start another rifle using the standard grip. Do you think the wife will buy it?
You don't notice her shoes do ya? .... then there is always "Oh that, I've had it forever"

As far as 308 bolts, they have the same headspace dimensions. The people that say you must stick with a certain kind have never had the other kind to compare. I have a Armalite, a DPMS and the ones I machined a few years ago. They all headspace the same.
If you use an armalite firing pin with a spring you must use the armalite carrier.

OdDuMet
02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
This is what JP says. It jives with what H is saying, but differes from what I have often heard too.

Barrels: JP Supermatch™ barrels in .308 Winchester/ 7.62x51 or .260 Remington are compatible with most AR-10 platforms except the Rock River LAR-8 or Bushmaster BAR-10. Due to the use of an FAL magazine, the extension piece on the barrels used in those rifles must be extensively modified to allow for feeding.

I have heard from several trusted places though, NOT to mix bolts & carriers. i.e. no Armalite bolt in DPMS carrier or vise versa and not to mix the BC small parts. Apparently there are differences in the bolts, carriers and small parts that effect the way the B&C interact, but the portion of the bolt that locks up with the barrel is the same.

JP Says this about .308 their carrier:

....large format AR-10 type Low Mass carrier. The JPBC-4 AR-10 low mass stainless bolt carrie....will also improve the sight recovery on the DPMS LR-308 or the Armalite AR10. However, it must be used with a DPMS LR-308 bolt assembly, firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retainer. Do not attempt to use the JPBC-4 with the Armalite bolt assembly, firing pin or cam pin.

JP Says this about their bolt:

The .308 version is compatible with the JP LRP-07 and the DPMS LR-308 platforms (or clones thereof) only and cannot be used to replace bolts in the Armalite AR-10 platform (or clones thereof).

This last part isnt entirely clear. They say their carrier works in Armalite, but you need to use a DPMS bolt and small parts. Then they say the bolt doesnt work on the Armalite platform.

My read is that as long as the bolt & carrier & BC small parts are of the same type, you are OK.