PDA

View Full Version : WRR harvests first Whitetail deer with Federal's 6.8 SPC, 90 gr Gold Dot

HTR
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Another 6.8 first (at least as far as we know) occurred here, over Thanksgiving weekend. How appropriate is that? I donated another youth hunt this year, and two lucky hunters (a brother and sister) drew the tags. One is 15, the other is 13. I figured it would be cool to let the kids make history.

We were graciously provided with some Federal 6.8 SPC rounds, in order to start the process of WRR's rigorous field testing and harvest necropsy, on live animals. We started out with whitetail deer, and we took one heart-lung shot and one base of the neck shot. I can make this post shorter by first saying we got no surprises whatsoever. The 90 grain Gold Dot is a bonded soft-point with flat meplat, i.e, no exposed lead tip. I fully expected this to be an excellent, multi-purpose, modestly priced bullet. I have not shot hogs with it yet, but I expect excellent performance on them, too, as it appears to really hold its weight well, and ATK designed it to be barrier blind. Those usually kill hogs well, as opposed to fragmenting designs. I will post another full report on the data regarding the chrono, OAL, accuracy, etc. as I have hundreds more rounds on the way. You have already seen the post on case measurements. I will take the time to remind you that its very well made, with a thicker web versus other brands, so capacity is just a bit less, but its going to be tough, and its been annealed, which is another plus.

Since our focus was getting the first kill with the new round, I shot one out of my bolt gun, to confirm accuracy, and the POI was within one inch of both the 85 TSX and the 95 TTSX. It was about an inch and a half higher at 100 than the 82 grain Raptor. I know it might seem like blasphemy to use a rem 700 bolt gun, but bear with me. That thing is a laser beam, and it has a 1.75 lb Jewel trigger, and Zeiss scope. I love the gun, everyone loves the gun, what can I say?

The first deer was shot at 160 yards, and the bullet struck the left shoulder then exited just behind the right. The bullet held together and made about a .60 cal exit The deer went 20 yards, and fell. There was a copious blood trail. As I said, no surprises. The second deer was shot in the base of the neck and was DRT, as expected. The bullet cored right through the spine, and still made a nice round hole, indicating that even after striking bone, it held its shape.

First deer and its exit wound:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/IMG_1260.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/ATK90.jpg

Second deer, dead right where it was hit. Not pregnant, just fat. It was as least 5.5 years old:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/IMG_1267.jpg

gadsden11
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
That rocks!! Glad the youngsters could be the first. As always thanks for your time and info.

68WJ
11-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Awesome news! Congrats to the young hunters.

Ratdog68
11-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Excellent !! Thanks for sharing that. Love having some lighter/faster loads available ! C'mon Federal !!! Bring it !

BamaInArk
11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
And you thought to share on Facebook before posting here! lol That's okay...I had your back. ;)

I think the Fusion round will be a great addition to the 6.8 lineup. That is if the accuracy remains the same all other Fusion offerings. LC brass if always a plus.

Aspp
11-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Thats great to hear, congrats to the young hunters!

owenslee
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Excellent news...! and kudos to the youngsters.

But Chris....posted on Facebook before 68forums...???

Tell me it isn't so....!!!!

HTR
11-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Excellent news...! and kudos to the youngsters.

But Chris....posted on Facebook before 68forums...???

Tell me it isn't so....!!!!

I know, I'm guilty. :a26:

But you guys have to remember time efficiency is of the utmost importance to me. It took about 60 seconds to post them (using the "pages" app) directly from my iPhone while I was still at the ranch. No silly photobucket, and all its 18 steps, before posting. IPhone does not take as good a pics as my SLR, but my goodness is it easier and much faster than loading an SD chip, then to the computer, then to photobucket, then edit, then to forum.... Makes me tired just thinking about it.

ETA: Thanks for the photo tips, as always!!

Nswish
11-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Can someone tell me what system we are using for posting photos now? I can't right click and copy the photo anymore from my photobucket album.

When you have the photo open in photobucket, there is an "image link" box on the right. You should be able to simply left click the "IMG code", which will auto copy it, then right click in the post here where you want to show the photo, the IMG code will be inserted.

owenslee
11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
When you have the photo open in photobucket, there is an "image link" box on the right. You should be able to simply left click the "IMG code", which will auto copy it, then right click in the post here where you want to show the photo, the IMG code will be inserted.

Yep...same here.

WASSMAN
11-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Nice work chris. Looking forward to more reports.

346CI
11-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Cool deal on letting the kids hunt!

marinesg1012
11-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Glad to know that the new 90 grain is going to work well in its role

Jamesb74
11-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Great work HTR!!!

Hey what suppressor do you have on the rem 700? A JETT?

Sent from my island villa by carrier pigeon.

HTR
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Great work HTR!!!

Hey what suppressor do you have on the rem 700? A JET?

Sent from my island villa by carrier pigeon.

No, its a Wilson Combat Whisper. I love that little can. I just put the brakes on several guns, and I can move it around.

marinesg1012
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
HTR now you need a hog to stand in front of a windshield to test the barrier blind aspect of it.....

S717
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
So does this mean the 90grn gold dot will be available to civilian market?? Too many rumors out their about 115grain rounds i want the 90's. Are they in mil packaging or commercial?

HTR
11-27-2012, 07:16 PM
So does this mean the 90grn gold dot will be available to civilian market?? Too many rumors out their about 115grain rounds i want the 90's. Are they in mil packaging or commercial?

My understanding is that these will eventually be manufactured for the civilian market. When that might happen is sheer speculation at this point. ATK obviously has been watching developments in 6.8 performance for a couple of years, and I think they made an excellent choice with the 90 grain Gold Dot. Its in the proper weight class for high velocity, will perform well in SBR's and holds its weight well.

For shooting game animals like deer and hogs, it obviously could be a very popular bullet. I will be loading some of my own as soon as I get more of the brass and projectiles.

HTR
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
HTR now you need a hog to stand in front of a windshield to test the barrier blind aspect of it.....

LOL, excellent idea....I might just buy a windshield at a junkyard, and shoot a pig carcass through it.

mike_f
11-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Great report.

Did you happen to chrono any of the Federal ammo?

WASSMAN
11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
LOL, excellent idea....I might just buy a windshield at a junkyard, and shoot a pig carcass through it.

Buy a windshield????

I am planning to give you guys a visit next month, just need to get the wife to decide on a date since she is going with me this time. I can bring you a few from my work. How many you want?

WVHunter1s1k
12-02-2012, 04:15 PM
The article said 9" of penetration after a windshield. Like to see real world test.
I have my theory about the 90gr release. But, I'll keep it off the boards.
Keep up the good work Chris! It is much appreciated.

Bugg77
12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Any updates on how this round has performed on pigs?

Sent from my iPhone

StingRay
12-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I applaud your decision to let the young hunters walk away with a first. Those children are our future.
Congrats to both of them and to you.

baldy220
12-23-2012, 11:19 PM
im looking forward to trying these gold-dots

HTR
01-19-2013, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to update this thread with info about the ATK ammo. As most of you know, the new catalog shows a 115 grain FMJ from AE and a 115 fusion bullet. I still am trying to convince ATK that they already produced one of the best hunting rounds I've used in the 90 grain Gold Dot. I'm still not quite sure they understand that the 90 grain weight is the more evolved for flat trajectory performance versus a slow moving 115.

They implied the 90 was only a mil/LE offering, but I think they would sell a lot more 90 grain than 115 grain fusion/gold dot bullets. I'm forwarding this thread link to ATK so that you can sound off here and let them know we all want the 90 grain Gold Dot for the obvious reasons:

-shorter bullet allows cartridge to fit in any mag length

-sweet spot for performance in shorter barrels, allowing higher velocity and flatter trajectory.

I think we have their ear. I'll gladly pass along any of your comments to them. I'm hopeful that more 90 grain gold dots are on the way. Since deer season is almost over for us, we move on to shooting pigs with these next.

LocoGringo
01-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I might also add that there are several 115 grain selections, but few 90 grain selections. I know I'd prefer 90 grain bullets for my SBR...

Bugg77
01-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks HTR. The 95gr TTSX is my go to round for hunting. I'd love a viable alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for practice and hunting. The 90gr Gold Dot would be that bullet that would let me shoot in higher volumes.

Sent from my iPhone

sucngas
01-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I would buy the 90 grain gold dots for hunting in a heart beat. Even better, offer the bullet to us handloaders, we'll load it for ourselves if you won't.

mike_f
01-20-2013, 12:45 AM
I would buy the 90 grain gold dots for hunting in a heart beat. Even better, offer the bullet to us handloaders, we'll load it for ourselves if you won't.

+1

With the velocity/trajectory advantages of the less-than-100-grain bullets for 6.8SPC, I don't even shoot 115 grain bullets anymore.

Like sucngas said, if ATK/Federal don't want to sell us the 90-grain loaded ammo; then please just sell us the dang bullets.

Aspp
01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
+100
If they want to load for the 115gr load that is fine, but let me get my hands on the 90gr Gold Dots!

S717
01-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Why do you think the 90 was chosen as the mil/le round? performance! We here at 6.8 forums demand performance from our ammo an rifles. that is why the 6.8 is what it is today because of the people here that created the round it is today. You have the right ammo with the gold dots an it would be a huge money maker in the commercial market. Don't limit yourselves to the old heavy 6.8 bullets, bring the 90 to the commercial market. The Goldot is the round we have been waiting for an if you would sell the 90's around 15 a box you would not be able to keep up with demand! I want the XM68 90GR GOLDOTs!!

WVHunter1s1k
01-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks Chris! The 90g would be a fine hunting round, worth looking in to.
I don't think the 90gr Gold Dot meets the requirements of the Haugue Convention? So, Mil/LE???

IMHO-Maybe, I'm wrong? The 115gr Fusion does seem to be a bit anemic.

HTR
01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks Chris! The 90g would be a fine hunting round, worth looking in to.
I don't think the 90gr Gold Dot meets the requirements of the Haugue Convention? So, Mil/LE???

IMHO-Maybe, I'm wrong? The 115gr Fusion does seem to be a bit anemic.

Not trying to dodge, but IMHO, the Hague convention question is essentially moot at this point. The Mil is definitely looking at bonded bullets for barrier blind use, but that's common knowledge. LE has been quite favorable to the bonded bullets of this type for some time now. Whether the Mil ever go to expanding ammo is a question I don't want to undertake. This bullet was made for a non-US military contract. ATK stated to me that that they considered the 90 grain Gold Dot to be a "military and LE type round..."

As delicately as I can put this, I don't think ATK really knows the 6.8 market very well, yet. Its hard to blame them in this environment. They are a huge company, and these are usually "musclebound," bureaucratic, i.e, not as nimble as much smaller companies. Lots of committee decisions, IOW. I believe they just need to understand that the 90 grain Gold Dot is THE bullet they should be loading into Federal Premium, and other commercial / hunting lines, not the 115. Granted, the Fusion line is pretty affordable, but I want the trajectory benefits and POI similarity provided by a 90 grain bullet.

It seems that ATK needed a different line for the commercial versus mil contract line so that they could dedicate production to 6.8. But, with the HUGE increase in demand for 5.56, and .308 calibers, they probably had no choice but to produce one bullet for the contract and another for the hunting market. They sure could have saved themselves a lot of money by just foregoing the 115 Fusion, and releasing the 90 grain Gold Dot first, in their hunting offerings. Having said all of that, I am still very glad to see that they finally jumped in.

This is the place where the best information on 6.8 exists. My experience has been that much larger companies have made decisions to change their product lines because of this site, and some of yours and my posts. Look at the excellent offerings from Barnes, Hornady, Cutting Edge, and other manufacturers. Kudos goes to all of them because they bothered to seek the information and give customers what they wanted. They came here, and heard good input from the membership.

This thread will be read by ATK. Keep your professional and courteous comments coming, and feel free to add technical information if you would like. They will see it, eventually.

WVHunter1s1k
01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
That was an excellent reply! Thank you!
I just put the Hague Convention in for NATO purposes.
What you said is informative.
I remember reading that when they first got started they had info overload with different chamber, twist, pressure limits & COAL (paraphrasing).
But, I feel after reading the new info on here & their own testing they are starting to get the hang of things. I mean, heck, the 90gr stats(from the Fortier article) with a 55k limit is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm glad they jumped in too!

Yes, trajectory is very important, especially for longer distances. The 90gr could be used in a multipurpose role from prairie dogs to deer/hogs.

The 115gr at 2550 +/- might be good for Hog, deer & larger game with a decent trajectory. Look at the ranges Wicked Close is shooting.

Again, thanks Chris for the reply. It cleared a few things up.

deacn dan
01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
I want to add that being from Northern, MN I would use the 6.8mm 90 grain fusion for Deer hunting primarily as would many others here. I like the 95 grain barnes ttsx but it is expensive for more of the day to day shooting. No other manufacturer has a 90 grain med-large game projectile. I would love to have a 90 gr fusion for my Modern sporting rifle, especially for reloading. If a 100 round or larger bulk projectile is offered around the 15-18.00/100 range you would probably have trouble keeping up with the demand. I will not likely use the 115gr offering for hunting since I have excellent results killing deer with the Nosler 110gr Accubond. I will certainly buy some to try, but I am more interested in the 90 gr Fusions for a faster, flatter, trajectory with a solid punch at the end. Fusions are good bullets, and I've used them in my .308 with excellant results on deer.

houser52
01-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I coyote and ground hog hunt with either the 90 grain Sierra or Speer TNT but have to re-sight my rifle every fall with a bullet for deer hunting.
An affordable 90 grain bullet that we can use for everything would be great.

HTR
01-21-2013, 01:01 AM
I coyote and ground hog hunt with either the 90 grain Sierra or Speer TNT but have to re-sight my rifle every fall with a bullet for deer hunting.
An affordable 90 grain bullet that we can use for everything would be great.

This is a good point. I shoot only 80, 85, 90, and 95 grain bullets. I have found that I can shoot a coyote with the 90 grain TNT, and then simply put in a magazine of 95 TTSX, to kill a hog on the same hunt and have nearly the identical POI. That's a big difference in bullet performance with just a change of mags, without having to re-zero the rifle. A 90 grain Gold Dot would fit right in with all those bullets.

I confirmed that the Gold Dot POI was within one inch of the 85 TSX and 95 TTSX when I fired the first few. I would not have trusted a 115 grain bullet on a deer at 300 yards, were I zeroed with the 85 or 95 TTSX.

jdgilbert
01-22-2013, 12:35 AM
This is a good point. I shoot only 80, 85, 90, and 95 grain bullets. I have found that I can shoot a coyote with the 90 grain TNT, and then simply put in a magazine of 95 TTSX, to kill a hog on the same hunt and have nearly the identical POI. That's a big difference in bullet performance with just a change of mags, without having to re-zero the rifle. A 90 grain Gold Dot would fit right in with all those bullets.

I confirmed that the Gold Dot POI was within one inch of the 85 TSX and 95 TTSX when I fired the first few. I would not have trusted a 115 grain bullet on a deer at 300 yards, were I zeroed with the 85 or 95 TTSX.

+1 I've had some soft 110-115 grain loads shoot up to 4" lower than my 95-gr TTSX load, a similar POI between hunting and target ammo would be huge for the broader market. I don't mind the heavier bullets for training, but my sense is that the majority of shooters have to be budget conscious and can't afford multiple rigs dedicated to target shooting, 3-gun, home defense, hunting, etc. A one-zero-fits-all ammo selection makes a lot of sense no matter which way you slice it.

Ammunition and components don't lay long after being posted on this forum even prior to the election and the subsequent craziness. Given the track record of the 6.8 fraternity, I expect that Federal/ATK will be taking backorders within a week of the new load hitting the shelves if pricing is close to what early indications have been ($15-17/box).

A 90-gr Gold Dot load would be an even hotter commodity given that it would be suitable for target shooting, hunting and self defense. If the projectiles were made available for handloaders at it below the current cost for ProHunters, Hornady HPBT, etc. they would also sell like hotcakes.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

ArtFWTx
01-22-2013, 12:41 AM
I am a Federal ammo fan. Federal Premium has been my favorite brand for match and hunting for years especially 308 and 5.56. I am even more of a fan with Federal ATK 6.8 ammo coming. I would like to see the 90 grain Gold Dot along with the 2 other loads. The FMJ practice ammo is a bonus we all can't wait for. This ammo will sell very well.

sneedb82
01-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Count me and our customers in for a 90gr gold dot offering.

Most of my customers are hunters, either predators (competition) or big S Texas whitetails. Of course the exotics are thrown in for good measure.

I think a 90 gr option for the 6.8 would flat work well for me in terms of across the board shooting. Like has been mentioned, sighting in for the one load and using others for even bigger game is a plus, but also offerin the projectiles for our own loading would be great as well.

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

DAH
01-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Defintely +1 on the 90gr Gold Dot, as a matter of fact the 90gr is the only offering I will purchase. Hope ATK is listening!!!!!

JVB
01-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Defintely +1 on the 90gr Gold Dot, as a matter of fact the 90gr is the only offering I will purchase. Hope ATK is listening!!!!!

I'm in pretty much the same boat. That's the round that I'm really excited for.

OdDuMet
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Another vote that I would prefer the 90gr got dot of the three loads.

lwrkeysfisher
01-22-2013, 09:18 PM
I think a 90gr Gold Dot and equivalent weight FMJ target round would be ideal. The 20% weight reduction would help drive costs down as well.

I do like heavier bullets though and think a 115+gr Gold Medal Match round would be incredible.

Equalizer_2
01-23-2013, 12:12 AM
I can see a place for the 90 gr but I have a rifle gas barrel and I want it to cycle with whatever I shoot through it. This means I need something heavier. I would like to see something in the 100 to 105 gr area that would get my rifle gas to cycle correctly. I do like heavier bullets myself.

I would still buy a bunch of the 90 gr loads though.

EGarza04
01-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I now only used 100gr accubond tac loads in my rifle as they are leaving my barrel at around 2700 fps. At ~25.00 per box they are not the most or least expensive option I have, but they are the lightest bonded bullet I could find that comes factory loaded. If a 90gr bonded option running around 2900 to 3000 fps came from Federal for a decent price I would be all over it, and if it showed up before the other companies could catch up with this panic buy, I could switch without having to run out of ammo...again.

I already use fusion ammo in other rifles I own and really like their performance. I would love to be able to use them in my 6.8 as well.

-Eric

the boar buster
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I will shoot whatever they put out, but my preference is for a 90 gr bonded type bullet. I shoot quite a few hogs and I have used 85, 95 and 120 to kill hogs and they all work well. So far I prefer the 85 gr TSX and the 95 gr TTSX, but both area little expensive for pig blasting. I do reload but only to cut ammo cost, not because I like to. If I had a good supply of moderately priced 90 gr ammo I would probably quit reloading and just buy ammo. Now if I can just get someone to come out with a 300 gr jsp load for my 458 Socom I could moth ball my reload equip. Hint.....
Thanks.

archer33x
01-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Im with everyone else here, too. A 90gr gold dot would be ideal.... soon as its available - whether in commercially loaded form or as components - I'll happily buy half a truckload!

rabbit91476
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
What's the COAL of these things

HTR
06-17-2013, 11:35 AM
What's the COAL of these things

I believe they are 2.21"

The flat meplat makes them shorter

sdm2841
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
LGS just got a shelf full of the XM68GD so I picked up a couple boxes to see how my rig takes to them. Headed to the range after tomorrow's bow hunt. If all goes well I hope to use on whitetails next week.

HTR
10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
We will be shooting some deer and pigs with the 90 grain Gold Dot, over the next few weekends. We will post results.

So far, they have performed very well for us.

marinesg1012
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
We will be shooting some deer and pigs with the 90 grain Gold Dot, over the next few weekends. We will post results.

So far, they have performed very well for us.

Looking forward to the results.