PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Upper?

tcl632
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
How is the Rock River 6.8 upper perform? It has a 1-10 twist. Anybody have any experience with there 6.8 I know they make a good 223/308 but haven't seen anybody say anything On here about that brand.

Publius
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I had originally thought about buying their coyote 6.8 upper but after reading different posts on this forum about the optimum specs for a 6.8 barrel I decided to look at other options. If you look around this forum, you'll see that 1:11 twist with mid-length gas system is the standard for the 6.8 round. That's where I would start. Look at the forum sponsors and I bet you'll find something that will have these specs and probably be in about the same price range.

BittenbytheBug
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Somethig else to consider is RRA uppers and M4 feed ramp cuts - the one I acquired did not have them, and introduced issues with brass

Nick M
06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I have two. One is carbine length the other is midlength gas. They both shoot straight. The both shoot SPC II loads. There are better choices, but it works.

tcl632
06-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys I'm going to use a bision barrel I think. J&J Firearms in Hallsville is building it for me. They are new but are young and knowledgable so they are fired up about this build it will be there first 6.8 so they are researching everything so it should be a sweet upper and they are giving me a great deal.

tedhunter
06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
For personal and business reasons, I went with RRA. They have been a great company to work with. The coyote hits 3/4" and no feed problems nor damage to brass in 2-3 passes through. Just now starting to reload the 6.8, so I can't attest to the life of the brass.

The latest A4 upper is still being experimented with but it will become my primary deer rig once i get time to get every thing mounted up and am happy with the glass on it.

rifter
06-13-2011, 10:09 PM
How is the Rock River 6.8 upper perform? It has a 1-10 twist. Anybody have any experience with there 6.8 I know they make a good 223/308 but haven't seen anybody say anything On here about that brand.

I have the RRA 6.8 upper and their lower. Its the 16" with the flat top rail and the A2 type front sight. The upper is tick as a tick, functions like a Swiss watch, and is very accurate. I have about 1K rounds through it, and it continues to rock. I did replace the brake with a Troy Claymore brake which diverts the gas straight forward, and that improved my shot to shot recovery time in rapid fire.

I added a flip up rear sight and have a Nikon 3-9x40 Pro scope with the BDC reticle, zero is set at 200 yards. By the way, ALL the Rock River 6.8 uppers come with M4 type feed ramps since at least 12-14 months ago when I bought mine.

tedhunter
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
I have the RRA 6.8 upper and their lower. Its the 16" with the flat top rail and the A2 type front sight. The upper is tick as a tick, functions like a Swiss watch, and is very accurate. I have about 1K rounds through it, and it continues to rock. I did replace the brake with a Troy Claymore brake which diverts the gas straight forward, and that improved my shot to shot recovery time in rapid fire.

I added a flip up rear sight and have a Nikon 3-9x40 Pro scope with the BDC reticle, zero is set at 200 yards. By the way, ALL the Rock River 6.8 uppers come with M4 type feed ramps since at least 12-14 months ago when I bought mine.

you took the A4 with the front sight. I have the A4 with a gas block on the front on the way. The Coyote looks the same except with the FF Hogue for the front furniture and the older ones were ACE Stocks. Great little rifles for me. They are SPCII, but the 1 in 10 causes some a level of concern. I currently have a 2-7 Nikon but I am not crazy over the 32 mil front bell. Looking for something a little more open in the thick.

Nick M
06-15-2011, 03:18 PM
I have the RRA 6.8 upper and their lower. Its the 16" with the flat top rail and the A2 type front sight.

Nice trigger isn't it? Any body that first learned with the A2 would like this trigger.

rifter
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Nice trigger isn't it? Any body that first learned with the A2 would like this trigger.

Actually, I prefer a single stage trigger with a good, crisp break. Too many years using a bolt rifle, I guess. As two stage triggers go, however, the RRA is usually given good marks from what I have read.

Ratdog68
06-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Actually, I prefer a single stage trigger with a good, crisp break. Too many years using a bolt rifle, I guess. As two stage triggers go, however, the RRA is usually given good marks from what I have read.

I'm with you on this rifter.... My Rem 700's trigger has SPOILED me for life. I LOVE warning people to stay OFF that trigger until they're ready to shoot, and watch 'em start to settle into a shot and light it off before they were ready. To me... a 2-stage feels like sumpin' in need of being worked on.

Nick M
06-17-2011, 07:34 PM

I thought it was a clean break, compared to the original I shot. I have nothing else to compare it to but the A2.

reelserious
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I have one and it has been good to me. Shoots sub moa and i like the two stage trigger for an AR.

tedhunter
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm with you on this rifter.... My Rem 700's trigger has SPOILED me for life. I LOVE warning people to stay OFF that trigger until they're ready to shoot, and watch 'em start to settle into a shot and light it off before they were ready. To me... a 2-stage feels like sumpin' in need of being worked on.

Funny, I've gone the other way. As much as I liked the old 700 in 25-06 and LOVED the little 222; i find better groups with a two stage. Once it touches "the wall", it goes. Different strokes - I'm sure the rifle industry is glad of that!

BTW - that avatar makes for a fine Friday!

Ratdog68
06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Funny, I've gone the other way. As much as I liked the old 700 in 25-06 and LOVED the little 222; i find better groups with a two stage. Once it touches "the wall", it goes. Different strokes - I'm sure the rifle industry is glad of that!

BTW - that avatar makes for a fine Friday!

Ta-Tas
Go
In
Front

tedhunter
06-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Ta-Tas
Go
In
Front

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!! That is a great line!